ASUS M2N4-SLI BIOS update causes USB mouse problem

Questions that don't belong in the other forums.
metarra
New visitors - please read the rules.

I updated my ASUS M2N4-SLI BIOS from Revision 0902 to 1206 via the EZ Flash. After the reboot, it took a very long time for Windows XP to load. After the loading screen, it took about 3-5 minutes for the Welcome screen to come up. When the Welcome screen finally came up, the mouse would work only intermittently. It would move for a few seconds, stop for a few seconds, etc.

The reason I wanted to update my BIOS was because I bought new RAM, Kingston DDR2 HyperX Blu 4GB (two 2 GB sticks), that is supposed to be compatible with M2N4-SLI mobo. When I tried installing the RAM I would get 1 long 2 short beeps. I even called Kingston and they verified it should work with that motherboard. When I told him the BIOS version I was using he said I should update the BIOS so the motherboard would recognize the brand new RAM.

I already looked in the ASUS M2N4-SLI motherboard specific forum and there's not much activity or information there. Other people have experienced the same issue using BIOS versions 1206 and 1205, but there has not been much feedback for those people either. I called ASUS support (and they don't seem to know too much) and it was suggested to re-flash the BIOS with 1206 and then call back. Does anyone know if the BIOS version 1206 USB mouse issue can be fixed?
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

I suppose if Asus want you to flash he latest bios version because they say it will fix the issue, you at least can try that. If it does not contact them with the brand and model of the mouse. You may try starting windows in safe mode, remove all USB entries in device manager, then restart and let windows redetect. You also want to check for viruses&spyware, make sure the batteries are not empty and you are not suffering from bad capacitors. See http://www.badcaps.net for more information. The issue is quite widespread...
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

System error, strike any user to continue...