ASUS P2L97 Award BIOS version 0105, update to 1009

Questions that don't belong in the other forums.
Lucky Luke
New visitors - please read the rules.

Hi,

Just want to check before I make a mistake and mess up my PC:

I want to add a 60 G HD, 0105 doesn;t support it, 1009 does according to version history.

ASUS tells to use the AFLASH utility to flash my BIOS, however AFLASH reports an UNKNOWN flash type.
Board got delivered with PFLASH. This and newer versions do recognize the flash type as an INTEL 28F001BXT.

Should everything work fine if I use PFLASH to flash my bios to version 1009?

Regards
Lucky Luke
Denniss
BIOS Guru

Pflash should work .
But why do you not install the latest bios ?

The latest one is 1010 Beta 004 and runs perfectly fine on my P2L97 - supports HDD up to 128GB

ftp://ftp.asuscom.de/pub/ASUSCOM/BIOS/S ... remonitor/

It seems Asus removed support for older Flashroms in newer Aflash versions but if you need i could send you an older Aflash supporting the Intel Flashrom .
Lucky Luke

Thanks,

The reason for choosing version 1009 is because that's the latest "final" version, 1010 is a beta release. If I don't have to, I prefer not to use beta releases. ASUS has not published (I couldn't find) information on what's fixed in version 1010. The only thing I know of it (through ASUS faq on the P2L97) is that it supports HD's up to 128 GB.
The other thing is that 1010 comes in two flavours: one for boards containg LM78 , and one for boards that don't. So I have to choose.

Lucky Luke
soupy
Absentee administrator

Asus' beta BIOS releases have always been stable. I've flashed my P2B-F within days of each release and never had a problem.
Flash your BIOS at your own risk.
Lucky Luke

Hi Folks,

Thanks for the encouragment.
Ive flashed the BIOS to version 1009, using version 1.5 of the PFLASH program.
Everything went smoothly. When finished flashing the program asked if I wanted to flash one more time. I did that (read somewhere that somebody does this always, just to make sure the old BIOS is really lost).
After that I rebooted the computer and everything (i've checked so far) worked.
Most important of all, my 60 G HD was recognised at its true size.
The only funny thing that happened is that the PFLASH program wasn't able to recognise the BIOS anymore (it went from a PnP to an ACPI bios, whatever that may be, too new-fashioned for that old program).
However version 1.99 of the PFLASH2 program (to be found via the German ASUS site) does recognise the new BIOS.

I'm happy
Lucky
Luke
:)