ATC-6220 upgrade

Questions that don't belong in the other forums.
apereira
New visitors - please read the rules.

I ran FDISK to check on what partitions exist.
Partition C: 1
Status A
Type PRI DOS
Mbytes 9758
Usage 100%

When I restarted the computer today I got this message:
A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down.

Tech info: STOP: 0x0000007E (0xC0000005, 0xFC8D279C, 0xFC8D23B4, 0xFC8D20B4)

Now I am totally lost
Ritchie
BIOS Guru

Assuming you can wipe everything on the hard disk, I would check that you are doing the following:

1) Boot cold. I have had some installations of Windows fail on warm boots; apparently more thorough re-initialisation of hardware is favourable when booting into the setup CD.

2) Step carefully through the setup process, and choose the options to delete the partitions from the disk and then have setup install on a blank disk. You can actually select to install on a blank disk and have setup automatically create the partitions for you, rather than using setup to manually create them prior to selecting to install onto them.

If this again fails, I would consider that you have a hardware problem of some kind, that may or may not be the main board. As for the BIOS, I have heard of some boards capable of using O/S specific BIOSs, but have not come across these myself (so I am a little skeptical of whether such weird things exist).
ruelnov
Master Flasher

You should test your RAM module to see if that's not causing your problems.

I also had the same problems as yours before, and I did not succeed in installing XP even after reformatting the HD, or choosing Upgrade or Clean Install.

I got several STOP error messages, or my system simply hangs with no apparent reason.

I used memtest86 to determine which RAM module was buggy, and after replacing the defective module, I succeeded in installing XP.

But if you cannot find ACPI function listed under BIOS Setup, I doubt that you can install XP even after you replace your defective RAM. Unless, of course, if you flash upgrade your BIOS.