Award 4.51pg upgrade needed.

Questions that don't belong in the other forums.
Sam Kashiani
New visitors - please read the rules.

Hello:

I am trying to format my hard drive using Western Digital disk utility. The utility says the Bios does not support Window XP. The mother board was manufactured by Daewoo. Apprently I have the latest bios revision for the main board. When I reboot the computer, I get the following BIOS ID 07/16/1999-SiS-620--CB649MSIC-00. Additionally, some place on the startup screen says Award 4.51PG V 1.00. I think I need to upgrade this to something higher. Could anyone point me to a correct driver for this?

Thanks
ajzchips
El cheapo dude

I believe the utility is only saying that your BIOS's ACPI is not XP-compliant. But... you can always APM-install :)
Sam Kashiani

What is ACPI? What is APM? Are you saying that it would be okay to format it even though says not XP compliant? Do I really need to upgrade to a newer bios?

Thanks
Sam
KURIAKI

Daewoo CB649M-SI

There are a patched BIOS fixed to support HDD over 64GB (up to 128GB):

http://wims.rainbow-software.org/index. ... 0&count=40
More than 100,000 BIOS strings in my database just now!
http:/ /www.kuriaki.has.it/
http:/ /www.supportbios.info
------------------------------------------
Saludos desde Cancun, Mexico
KURIAKI
Ritchie
BIOS Guru

After I have optimised my BIOS settings, I attempt to install the O/S using it's defaults for power management if setup will accept it. If setup fails, I press F7 to disable ACPI when setup starts and then I can proceed.

That is one approach you can consider.

A newer BIOS from the manufacturer (if available) may or may not improve ACPI support to the standard which XP requires.

The patched BIOS available will be based on a BIOS from the manufacturer and therefore will not offer ACPI support better than what the manufacturer BIOS will support. But it may improve the HDD support (in this case up to 128GB) if the manufacturer BIOS does not provide the HDD support you require.

But remember as always a patched BIOS is use at your own risk.
Sam Kashiani

Ritchie:
What is ACPI? I have installed the latest bios from Daewoo dated 7/16/1999. Still when I try to use the disk utility to format, the disk utility complains bout the bios needs to be upgraded. Are you suggesting that if I get this message again, use F7 or F8 key to get into the bios setup and disable ACPI?

Tell me again with little more detail, why am I getting the message regarding upgrading bios? Is this just for formating disk greater than x? If I go ahead and format without upgrading, would I have difficulty installing XP.?

Sam
Sam Kashiani

Another question for the board:

As I said, it appears that I have the latest bios from Daewoo. How do I know that the bios supports XP? The manufacturer bios date is 1999.
ajzchips
El cheapo dude

All I know is that no pre-2000 BIOS supports XP's ACPI requirements correctly.
Ritchie
BIOS Guru

Hi Sam

I don't know a lot about ACPI either except that it is a power management standard which your BIOS needs to support if you want to use it through Windows.

If your drive is being detected correctly in the BIOS, boot off the XP CD and use XP to setup the drive the way you want it. (But backup anything required before deleting or formatting anything). If setup complains about ACPI support, just ignore it and continue if possible. If you cannot continue I believe you need to press F7 when setup starts to tell setup not to use ACPI mode.

If your hard drive is fully supported by your BIOS forget about the disk utility. This is probably compounding any problems in XP.

Also, I would like to suggest that a computer that does not support ACPI may be too old to run XP effectively (performance-wise).