BIOS Failure

Questions that don't belong in the other forums.
Rapporman
New visitors - please read the rules.

Hi everyone.

My daughter has been having numerous problems with her PC on start up with mouse and screen crashes etc and we noticed the date kept reverting to 2002. Then the PC finally crashed and would not start, so we changed the battery and the PC immediately got going again.

However, this time the boot sequence stalled almost immediately, before it got to the bit where it identifies the hardware and displayed a message on the lines of -"BIOS has some files missing and cannot continue - please insert start up disk in A "

As we never had any problems with the BIOS booting before we changed the battery, is it possible for this to happen because of a battery failure ? If so can anyone suggest what we should do now. I do not think we have the ability to update the bios.

Our mobo is a PC Chips 810LR and the BIOS chip is An American Megatrends Award
cp
BIOS Guru

first read through this : http://radel.inet.net.nz/m810lmr.html

then clear the board's cmos (refer to the manual..it's JP4 i guess ;)) and try again (don't forget to put JP4 back!). if the message comes up again you need to 1. get a working bootdisk 2. get the latest m810 bios and 3. edit the autoexec.bat for flashing the bios automagically.

i owned some of those boards, too. they are a real bargain (were? ;)) but they have serious design flaws. so you'd better get rid of it if you want something less to worry about.
Rapporman

Many thanks for your reply CP. Please bear with me as I need a bit of time to take in the contents of the link you supplied but I will get back to you when I have done so, so please do not go away !
Rapporman

Hi CP.

I am relieved to say I have managed to get the PC going again without updating the BIOS. I dont really understand how it happened but I took a chance and tried getting into BIOS setup via Del and it worked. I set it to load from cd rom and carried out an XP repair which somehow seems to have solved the initial boot up problems, although I dont understand how. I am not complaining of course but I still want to thank you for your interest and for putting me on to the 810 website.

Bernie
Portsmouth
UK