BIOS file

Questions that don't belong in the other forums.
belle
New visitors - please read the rules.

I purchased a BIOS file from esupport.com for an A-Trend ATC-6240. The file sent to me was 2A69KA2B.bin. It didn't work and of course the pc isn't booting. In the course of running the program I got a message referencing the size of the files were or were not the same. I just continued with the flash.

I took it to a computer tech and was told the wrong image was loaded and I would probably need to get a new chip or maybe the one I had could have been reflashed. I took it to another shop but I don't think anyone is interested in working on an old chip. I ordered a new chip which will be here in a few days. In checking this file (2A69KA2B) against the listings I do not see this particular one listed. I found it broken down except for the B. The following is the information used by esupport to come up with this file.

Award 4.51PG
09/23/98-i440BX-W977TF-ATC-6240C
ATC-6240 VER:1.1 04 WB
INTEL 440BX/ZX REV 3
WINBOND 977TF REV 0 FOUND AT PORT 3F0H

I guess the chip that is soon to arrive will still be outdated but if so that means it would need upgrading. Is it possible for anyone to tell me if this file is ok or is there one from this site I can use?
ajzchips
El cheapo dude

All depends on the kind of support you're looking for, but there's a more recent version than yours available:

12/08/1999-i440BX-W977TF-6240C-KZ
256K 6240 VER:1.1 08 WB

http://www.elhvb.com/mboards/a-trend/bios/

http://www.elhvb.com/mboards/a-trend/bi ... 40118a.zip
belle

Thanks. I'll download and give it another try.

I've downloaded and extracted the file and was wondering is there anything else I need to add. The reason I ask is because the file from esupport showed a few files like an autoexec, bflash, in addition to the .bin file.
ajzchips
El cheapo dude

You need AWDFLASH, but you can try creating another bootdisk with the file esupport sent you and replace their .bin with this one.
Denniss
BIOS Guru

Male sure you contact Esupport to get you oney back as they sent you the wrong file and you needed to invest even more money to have your computer back to life !!

They should have known there are two different sized Bios version existing - even their ID-program should have shown this .
belle

Thanks to ajzchips for your assistance.

Denniss thank you also for letting me know about that file. I am going to contact them. I realize there are risks with upgrading the BIOS but if it starts with the wrong file then that is a problem.

The reason I went through esupport was because I was confused with all of the files out there.
ajzchips
El cheapo dude

You still haven't mentioned what kind of support you were expecting from a BIOS update... large HDD support perhaps?
belle

I'm sorry. Yes I was upgrading to a larger hard drive. I installed an 80gb drive but it wouldn't detect the full capacity until a overlay software was installed. After that when logging on just gettng to the Windows logo screen just seemed to take longer and it always had to display Overlay Software or something like that.

I had this bright idea to update the BIOS. :lol:
Denniss
BIOS Guru

Have you tried the Bios file AJZ linked ?
belle

Not yet. but I have downloaded the file. I haven't received the new chip. It should be here if not tonight, tomorrow. Besides attempting the flash again I still have to stick that thing in the socket.

I'm hesitant and although the computer is 5-1/2 years old it works just fine but I think things might work a little better with an upgrade. I still have a cdrw to add to it if I can get it to work again.

I just thought the new hard drive, the cdrw, and the printer might work better with an upgrade.
Ritchie
BIOS Guru

I don't know how a BIOS flashing procedure differs when installing a new chip, but apart from that, if you use the correct method, take whatever precautions you can, make sure you are flashing the correct bin file for your board, you should be fine. Use a UPS (backup power supply) if you have access to a good working one and take your time so you don't make a mistake or hit or wrong key by trying to do things too quickly.

If you are unsure about exactly how you should go about this when you get the new chip request more advise from others here first - I'm sure someone would be willing to help you.

The only other thing I can suggest is to make sure you install the chip correctly using the correct orientation and check the voltages before you attempt a flash (preferably before even powering up the machine with the new chip). Also use a new disk (floppy) if you have one - or at least one that can be wiped clean - assuming you can erase the disk then take the step of doing a normal (not quick) format first to see if it formats smoothly without errors and unhealthy noises, and then build the disk in preparation for the BIOS flashing procedure.
belle

Just wanted to let everyone know I received the chip a few days ago but will have to wait until tomorrow to get it installed. I couldn't find a center that wanted to do this. I was about to give up but finally found a company that didn't feel threatened by the mention of BIOS chip.

After I get t his done I might try to flash myself with the file ajzchips found and posted in his message.
belle

FIrst, thanks to every one for their responses and help.

I received the chip and had it installed by a technician. It was an upgraded BIOS and now the computer is back in operation. Not sure if the tech did it or it was sent to me that way. It wasn't noted on my receipt from the tech that flashing was done.

By the way it is the upgrade that AJZ linked in one of his post to me,
6240118a.zip
12/08/1999-i440BX-W977TF-6240C-KZ
256K 6240 VER:1.1 08 WB

I searched practically every specifically Computer Repair and Service shop and none would even bother to look at this. Each said they did not install chips. A person I work with recommended a place I only considered as an electronics repair shop (tvs, sterios. etc) and has been in business for 30 years.

Find out they also serviced computers and come highly recommended not from individuals who have done repeated business with them.
ajzchips
El cheapo dude

Just make sure you get your money back from eSupport...
belle

Forgot to mention that. I have already received notification from my credit card company that the amount has been credited to my account.

I don't think it was done intentionally but when I discussed it with them they said they went by the information sent to them. I reminded them it was obtained by their BIOS Agent.