Bios update for: 06/09/2000-694X-686A-6A6LJL1AC

Questions that don't belong in the other forums.
filippo
New visitors - please read the rules.

Hallo. I really really hope you can help me.

I need BIOS update for my motherboard, as I need to increase RAM amount. Its name is “Image World”. Aida32 application says it is a Lucky Star’s motherboard. Could you please help me in this? The characteristics of my BIOS are the following ones:

BIOS Date: 06/09/00

BIOS Type: Award Modular BIOS v6.00PGN

BIOS ID: 06/09/2000-694X-686A-6A6LJL1AC

OEM Sign-On:6VA694(S)-04

Chipset:VIA 82C694 rev 196

Super I/O:VIA 686 rev 34 found at port 7h

CPU:Pentium III 733 Mhz

BIOS ROM In Socket:Yes

BIOS ROM Size:256K

Memory Installed:256 MB

Memory Maximum:512 MB

Memory Slot 01: 128 MB

Memory Slot 02: 128 MB

Memory Slot 03: 0 MB

Filippo
ajzchips
El cheapo dude

I've seen boards with the same chipset take 1GB DIMMs, but since the 512MB versions are simpler to find, you'll roughly get support for 512MB x Number of DIMM slots.
Denniss
BIOS Guru

VIA 694X chipset should not have any problem with 512MB memory sticks if they are double sided. There might be a problem with the newer single sided 512MB sticks.
filippo
New visitors - please read the rules.

Dearest Denniss and ajzchips,

really thank you very much for your answers.

The reason for my help request is that last year I put one stick of 256 Mb Ram onboard (in addition to the two-128 Mbs already installed), but it was not recognized. I tried every possible combination, put nothing worked. Frankly speaking, now I do not remember if it was sigle or double sided. The fact is that my motherboard manual ("Image World", Lucky Star...?) says on one page that maximum amount of Ram permitted is 256 Mb, and some pages further it says that maximum amount of DIMM-SDRAM installable is 384 Mb... How should I behave? Someone told me that it was a BIOS-upgrade problem, so I searched for it.

Does any upgrade for my motherboard's BIOS exist? What do you suggest to do?

Thank you again for your help.

Filippo
ajzchips
El cheapo dude

I have a VIA-694T based PC, and I can guarantee that it won't recognize a large percentage of SDRAM sticks out there. It has nothing to do with capacity; it simply dislikes certain brands/models/architectures.
Ritchie
BIOS Guru

What I would consider is:

1) Maybe the board does not accept the capacity you are trying to use. Try large capacity modules on their own to start with, and for larger sized modules you may require double sided memory.
2) Use good quality memory. I have used PQI, which I don't consider amoungst the best quality memory but it seems to be OK. Usually I request Kingston or Hynix (Hyundai) which I consider to be amongst the better/best quality memory. I hear that Crucial is also very good, but I do not recommend it because I have not had experience with it myself.
3) Remember that the further you push a mainboard, the more stringent the board's requirements may become of the hardware before it accepts it.
4) Perhaps consider contacting the manufacturer explaining to them what size modules you would like to install, and ask them for a recommendation of brands and double/single sided recommendations you should use. Remember the info may or may not be accurate - the board may accept the same or more or less of than what they tell you.