BIOS update (Phoenix Ke.m 1.73) on a Presario 2108eu

Questions that don't belong in the other forums.
Structure
New visitors - please read the rules.

Hello, I immediatly explain you my doubts. On my Compaq Presario 2108eu the BIOS is very poor of functionalities and on the HP website there is an update dated April 2005. Now I have a Phoenix Ka.m 1.59 and after the update I should have the Ke.m 1.73. I don't know what are the real advantages of this update (the website speaks only about some advanteges with battery or something like that) by I know what are the risks of an eventual mistake.
I just would like to know if there is anybody who made the same update or if there is anybody that can help me with some suggestions. I thank you all for every help. :wink:
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

The new bios will not have more functionality but only bugfixes. Compaq bioses are very limited in their settings so not just anybody goes in there fiddling and ruining their PCs. Compaqs are made for the masses, no for enthousiasts that know what might be the risk of altering a setting or 2...

I'll check what's inside the update exactly and will tell you what to expect...
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

System error, strike any user to continue...
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

No new functions. Only a bugfix if you are running it with 3rd party replacement batteries. I'd leave it alone.

BTW, laptop bioses are very limited by design.
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

Structure

Thank you very much for your explanation. You told me exactly what I was wondering. Anyway, I work everyday with a IBM Lenovo R60 and I ensure you that it is another world: its bios gives all the functionalities that one person might desire. :)
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

Be sure to download all bios updates/manuals/drivers for that one now as Lenovo is real shabby where it comes to supporting legacy systems...
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

Structure

Well, IBM released an update ofthe BIOS, but I don't understand what you are trying to say me (shabby gor legacy systems???). Anyway, I write down the news with this update:

Version 7CETC1WW (2.11)
(New) Support of Microsoft Windows Vista. (BIOS)
(Fix) Yellow "?" mark may appear at "Texas Instruments PCI-1510 CardBus Controller" in a PCMCIA of the Windows Device Manager.

Regard to the fact that I am going to installing Windows Vista, I care about it. Do you think it is useful?
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

You will have to install it if you want to install Vista. Else it will not work.

Legacy: very old

Shabby: below par, insufficient.
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything