bios update problem

Questions that don't belong in the other forums.
Garrettx
New visitors - please read the rules.

Greetings everyone.

i recently updated my bios at the time of update Windows Vista was installed. after i have done the update and restated my PC vista fail. the pc keep on restarting and that it for vista it never boot.

however after trying some troubleshooting steps still no success. i try installing XP back and xp boot and works ok..

what could have change in the bios why vista wont work any more?

mobo:ASrock wolfdale1333-d667
1.5 gb Memory
160g hdd sata
80g hdd ide
sata dvd burner
liteon dvd berner
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

cleared cmos after the update?
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

System error, strike any user to continue...
Garrettx

i have clear the cmos and load the default setting.. i also try doing recovery from the Vista dvd but same result..

'windows fail to boot. a recent hardware or software change might be the cause'

for a about 3 weeks now that all am getting.
Denniss
BIOS Guru

You probably need to switch your SATa operating mode. If you installed Vista with SATa set to AHCI then you need to use this setting to boot Vista. If it's set to IDE/compatible then an AHCI-installation of Vista won't boot. IT does also not work the other way round, if you insalled with SATA set to IDE/compatible but SATA now uses AHCI.
Garrettx

i have been hearing about AHCI but when i search through my bios their is nothing regarding AHCI IN MY BIOS..
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

so XP is running and Vista simply refuses all operations?
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

Denniss
BIOS Guru

http://www.asrock.com/mb/manual.asp?Mod ... 3-D667&s=n

Please download and read the manual. On page 33 (section 3.3.4, IDE Configuration) the SATA adress modes are called compatible and enhanced (enhanced = AHCI)

There may also be other options needed if your DVD burner is a standard PATA device (using the wide cables) and not SATA.
Garrettx

Thanks a lot edmin & Denniss i really appreciated ur help. now i know where to look for my AHCI setting in bios..

How i solve the problem was too simple for it to take me 2 weeks to solved all i did was to try a different windows vista ultimate dvd to do a clean installation and this time i was able to logon without the system rebooting and fail to start.
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

this is why i have several install cds/dvds around, i once had a situation where a new one wouldn't work and a copy did. next day the first thing i did was buying a new cd-drive and toss the other one...
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

Garrettx

I was using 2 installation dvd but seems something is wrong with both so as u said i have to toss them out..and et a new one..thanks alot..