BIOS upgrade needed

Questions that don't belong in the other forums.
bern
New visitors - please read the rules.

Please help!! I just attempted to install a new Linksys wireless network (802.11g). Problem seems to be that the older BIOS on one of my machines does not support wireless networking. And now I'm having a lot of difficulty finding a BIOS upgrade so that I can bring the machine up to speed so that it will run on my wireless network. My existing BIOS is
693-596-ITE86-2A6LGJ1HC-00. I've done a fair amount of searching around and found the manufacturer but his site does not seem to have an upgrade for my particular BIOS. I'm no expert at this, so if anyone can help I would be very appreciative. Thanks in advance.
NickS
BIOS Bodhisattva

I don't understand what the BIOS has to do with wireless networking. Why do you think the BIOS is a problem ?
NickS
BIOS Bodhisattva

In an email, bern wrote:I agree with you in theory, but in fact I found the opposite to be the case over the weekend. That is, I installed an 802.11g router and then added a 802.11g PCI card to my new machine - it all worked beautifully and at close to the advertised speed of 54 mega bits. Then I added a 802.11b USB card to my older machine. It worked fine for a while but the addition of the 802.11b device dragged the speed of the whole network down to less than 11 mega bits, and as soon as I disconnected the 802.11b USB card the speed of the network returned to the higher levels.

Then I tried to add a 802.11g PCI card to my older machine. First it wouldn't install properly and then it stopped the machine from booting correctly at all. I concluded, possibly erroneously, that I needed to upgrade the BIOS - which I'm now determined to do whether or not it turns out to be the problem. Any help on the BIOS upgrade would be appreciated - my BIOS is 01/06/2000-693-596-ITE86-2A6LGJ1HC-00. I'm having trouble locating the exact upgrade.
Does your board have a message in the top left under the Award logo in the memory test screen which says :
"V.993AS/993AN" ?
If so, a search for ITE86-2A6LGJ1HC reveals an earlier post which lists "09/07/2000-693-596-ITE86-2A6LGJ1HC-00" as the last BIOS for that board. Interestingly, the original poster says "now my networking problems are over".
Good luck, and do let us know if it fixes your problem.