Bios Upgrade or Use UDMA Controller card for PCChips M558 MB

Questions that don't belong in the other forums.
ebt2109
New visitors - please read the rules.

I want to use a bigger capacity HHD like the Seagate 40 gb in my PCChips M558 MB with 233MMX CPU, VXPro II chipset and ALI M5113 A1 super I/O. I read in the various postings that I have to upgrade my AMI BIOS to accept a bigger HDD. I already downloaded AMIFlash from PCChips site and the 0421S-13.rom from ajz's site.

However, I saw the replies of Denniss and Rainbow to a post of pode1 dated Jun 03, 2002 that I can also use a UDMA controller card (like Promise Ultra 100) for my MB to accept a bigger HDD. DId I understand this correctly? I am new in this hardware thing and I may have misunderstood this.

Thanks for your help.
NickS
BIOS Bodhisattva

Yes, a controller card will have its own disc bios.
Tested patched BIOSes. Untested patched BIOSes.
Emails *will* be ignored unless the subject line starts "Wim's BIOS forum"
ebt2109
New visitors - please read the rules.

Thanks Nick!

I am planning to get an Inno3D UDMA 100 controller which I saw in the product listing of a supplier in Manila. Can you tell me if this is a suitable UDMA controller card for a new Seagate 40gb, 5400rpm Utra ATA100 HDD which I will use with my M558 mobo?

Since I always see in this forum the warning that flashing a Bios may be a risky thing, I opt to go the UDMA controller card route first.

Ed
NickS
BIOS Bodhisattva

Ed, the only info I can find is here
which looks as though it should be OK as long as you meet the system requirements.
Tested patched BIOSes. Untested patched BIOSes.
Emails *will* be ignored unless the subject line starts "Wim's BIOS forum"