My bios won't allow me to update it ?

Questions that don't belong in the other forums.
MMXP
New visitors - please read the rules.

Hi I'm having a problem trying to update-patch my bios with nicks bios file http://wims.rainbow-software.org/nicks/ ... 0ZU_VA.zip

I made a boot CD and I put uniflash on it. the CD booted up and I told it to go here D:\uniflash it did that and when it did it had in grey letters update bios. also it said the bios lock was on and I am unable to unlock it. is there anyway I can bypass this or fix it ? also amiflash doesn't work right at all.

I have a old HP brio ba600 at
P3 750mhz
1.80gig seagate
2.40gig western digital (BRAND NEW)
cp
BIOS Guru

check the manual for a jumper that that protects the bios from updates, check the bios for an option that protects the bios from updates. if none of the above applies to your motherboard try: 'uniflash -unlock' before flashing.
MMXP

Not trying sound like a moron but how do you unlock the bios using uniflash ? would I need to download another piece of file or is it a command to use in dos ? if its in dos what is it ? also I don't have a manual for this mobo I got this about 2 months from ebay.
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

once booted from the floppy type:

uniflash -unlock

<Enter>

Then

uniflash

and start the flash procedure.
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

System error, strike any user to continue...
MMXP

Ok I did exactly what you said and and this what happens

1.Turn On computer boot to CD
2.typed Uniflash -unlock. it does directly to to the menu
3.exit the program and typed in uniflash -unlock
4. it does to the A: drive type in uniflash and get the same meno with flash bios disabled advance menu disabled. all I can do is back up my bios and thats it.

Can somebody tell me why I can't unlock the bios write feature ? should I try a different hot flashing software ? if so what do you all recommend ?

I talked to HP online and they told me to try their hp2000 compliance bios upgrade and put everything on a cd and got the process started up before it begins to flash it says source can not be found which is the bios but I know the file is the on the cd. can I flash my bios using hp software and be able to use my 79gig HDD or do I need to use nicks bios patch using uniflash which is giving me problems ?
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

Is it possible for you to make a RAM drive on that bootable CD and get uniflash and flash file on it so you have a read/write area? I think the problem is that the bios flash file is read-only.
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

System error, strike any user to continue...
cp
BIOS Guru

does uniflash detect any programmable chip? please post the output of uniflash's menu. thanks.
MMXP

I finally updated my bios withs nicks patch. HP sent me their flashing utitlity program and told me to use their bios.... they also told me they have been getting alot problems from users usiing 3rd party software such as nicks and not to trust them at all. I took the patch and replaced the old one ran the setup in dos and it finally worked! right now I'll need to copy my windows xp parttion to my new 40gig and slave the 80gig for archiving movies and backup up files.

Thanks again for your help.
NickS
BIOS Bodhisattva

MMXP wrote:I finally updated my bios withs nicks patch.
Well done!
HP .... have been getting alot problems from users usiing 3rd party software such as nicks and not to trust them at all.
Sure, you gamble every time you flash a BIOS, but the rewards usually outweigh the risks. I'd like to know who's been having trouble on which boards and which 3rd-party BIOSes.
Tested patched BIOSes. Untested patched BIOSes.
Emails *will* be ignored unless the subject line starts "Wim's BIOS forum"