Bios won't update (error message)

Questions that don't belong in the other forums.
monkeemanboy
New visitors - please read the rules.

My Bios refuses to update.

The error message reads something like "cannot contiue due to memory managers present (HIMEM)"

Does anyone know how I temporarily disable this memory manager in order to update my BIOS?

I think I did everything I should have i.e. booted from a 95/98 dos floppy. Then at the A prompt inserted another floppy with the bios files on it. These included: flash.bat, PH1633.exe, 2895V104.wph and a readme text file. The readme text file says to simply type "flash" at the A prompt and the rest will be handled by the exe file. This is when I get the error message.

My system board is a Tyan Thunder K8WE S2895 quad-core AMD Opteron with Bios version 1.03
I am updating the Bios to version 1.04 in the hope that it will recognize my new graphics card which at present, it does not. The graphics card is a PNY NVidia QuadroFX3500.

Thanks in advance

Dan
cp
BIOS Guru

get a driver free bootdisk at bootdisk.com and copy the files onto it.
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

I see no FX3500 listed here:
http://www.tyan.com/support/html/video_s2895.html
Maybe you should email Tyan and ask them why...
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

System error, strike any user to continue...
monkeemanboy

Thanks everyone for your comments.

CP: I downloaded the file from bootdisk.com (driver free bootdisk) like you said but am not sure how to use it. It's an exe that won't execute! error message says "not a valid win32 application". The website says that it is an image file ...but nero doesnt recognize exe's for disc image burning ...any ideas?

edwin: I contacted NVidia and the list simply hasn't been updated yet. i.e there shouldnt be any reason why the quadro FX wont be recognized.

At the moment I'm relying on being able to update the systems Bios but it won't work until I disable this memory manager (HIMEM.sys)
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

bootdisk: download it again, you get this error with an incomplete download.

contacting: I said Tyan, not nVidia. Although nVidia may be right, there's no reason why Tyan may not have goofed up in whatever way

himem.sys: You will keep getting this error until you use a proper driverfree bootfloppy disk. Nero can't recognize that as bootable image because it isn't, it's a self-extracting image.
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

cp
BIOS Guru

get this
there is an .img inside you can use as a bootdisk for nero.
monkeemanboy

Excellent ....all sorted now! Cheers for the advice. You were right, the download hadn't completed for some reason but now my system is flashed with the latest BIOS.

Unfortunately it didnt resolve the graphics card issue but I'm leaving it in the capable hands of Tyan and Nvidia ..hopefully they will be able to find a solution.

Thanks again

Dan
dummy

My computer is having the same issues, i read through this thread & downloaded the driver free bootdisk onto the computer.
I then opened it & saved to Floppy A.

When i boot the computer it writes a couple of things & then goes to
A: on the screen.

My question is what do i do now?

Also what next after that, i have downloaded the Bios upgrade etc from Intel for my Pentium CA810E motherboard but can't upgrade due to this Memory Manager??

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

@dummy:
http://www.intel.com/support/motherboar ... 023358.htm

has the instructions for Intel iFlash updates
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

dummy

Hi Edwin,

Thanks for the reply, i have tried this & followed the instructions but everytime i try to boot it says:

Invalid system disk
Replace disk & press any key

I have checked the motherboard No & the verification code from Intel etc to make sure of the Board Model, it's a CA810E.

The Bios upgrade i got from

http://support.intel.com/support/mother ... op/CA810e/

I opened a couple of files to read them & one said the Memory Manager was stopping the installation?????

Not sure if this is so or not, i have been trying the Flash Bios upgrade from the site, there is another Express Bios upgrade on the site.
What is the Express Bios upgrade & should i be using that one instead?

Forgot to mention the P111 computer i am trying to upgrade the bios on is running win98se.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank You
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

you might get away using the express bios update:
http://support.intel.com/support/mother ... 023357.htm

Let us know.
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything