boot from cd_bios problem

Questions that don't belong in the other forums.
horta
New visitors - please read the rules.

Hi there!
This is my first post, so excuse me for my poor english and if i break some rule!!
Here's the question: I've formated my HD without notice what was the boot order of the bios.
Then when i tried to acess it, pressing the "del" key, the bios options appeared but just for one instance, and then my computer hanged up or shut's down, i really don't know very well what happen!
What does this mean? Is my bios burned, or damaged?!
Is there any shortcut key without acessing the bios that can change the boot order??
Any help aprecciated
Thanx
Ritchie
BIOS Guru

OK

1) You've formatted your hard disk - it will be blank.
2) It may contain boot files.
3) If the hard disk is bootable it will probably boot to a command prompt.
4) The hard disk may not boot at all.
5) If no boot from the hard disk, you need to boot from floppy disk or CD.
6) Depending on factors, you may be able to boot from floppy disk or CD without changing the boot order.
7) If you do need to change the boot order, how you do so depends on your BIOS, they are all a bit different in this area.

Once you boot the way you want to boot, you will probably want to reinstall Windows. Windows 2000 or XP can boot to the installation process from the CD which you got when you purchased them. If you are installing a different version of Windows or something other than Windows the process is more involved and beyond the scope of my reply at present.

Hope this helps you!!!
Ritchie
BIOS Guru

Just to add that nothing you mentioned you said you did caused me to think you damaged your board or BIOS, but it is still possible that your hardware contains a fault. Difficult to determine much further at this stage. But others may have more insight than I do - wait and see what else comes back.
horta

Thanx for the reply.
For the moment i can't boot from HD (formated, without OS), only from floppydisk.
The boot order doesn't acess the cd rom, only a: and then c:!!
I tried to change this order so i can install winxp from the cdrom, but when i acess the bios my pc shut's down!!
I can't change the boot order in the bios, because of this shutdown!
Is there a way to change it without entering the bios??
If i boot from a bootable floppydisk, will i gain acess to cdrom and the manually run setup of winxp??
Thanx again
Ritchie
BIOS Guru

Possibly a faulty board, but you could try making the BIOS lose it's memory by removing the battery for a while or by using the Clear CMOS jumper (if present) on the mainboard. With any luck some corrupt data may be causing this.
horta

i'll try to do that, then i'll post here the results.
I hope it works. Thank's
ruelnov
Master Flasher

Booting from floppy (which is DOS) can install the necessary drivers for the CD-ROM if that floppy is an Emergency Boot Disk or Startup Disk. And this gives you access to the CD-ROM.

But the WinXP setup program cannot be run at the DOS prompt, and so you really need to boot from the WinXP setup CD.

And if you don't see CD-ROM option under Boot Sequence in BIOS Setup, your BIOS doesn't support booting from CD-ROM.