Compaq SR1710NX Motherboard - A8AE-LE (AmberineM)

Questions that don't belong in the other forums.
basskozz
BIOS Newbie

I usually build all my computers, but I couldn't passup a deal on a Compaq sr1710nx for next to nothing (after rebates/coupons/etc...). From this deal on FatWallet: Compaq SR1710NX for $199.99 after $50MIR on 3/19 @ CompUSA B&M
Now I relize why I don't buy and only build... the motherboard this computer came with has been dumbed down MAJOR (I assume to keep newb users from frying there components).

Apparently the Motherboard is a "A8AE-LE (AmberineM)" and here is a link to it's Spec's and Diagram

After making an adjustment to the bios:
Boot-time Diagnostic Screen -> Enabled (comes defaulted to disabled so you can see the gay "Compaq Screen")

I noticed something...
System Bios Shadow Status: Enabled
System Video Bios Shadow Status: Enabled

I assume if I can somehow Disable this I'll beable to tweak it (i.e. OC'ing and adjusting voltage etc...)

I am not an OC'er, I like to keep my stuff cool, and running stable... but after I had an issue with the new memory I installed (See: THIS THREAD) I have a feeling this default setup isn't pushing enough power to the RAM, and I'd like to adjust the settings.

Anyone know how to UN-Shadow the BIOS ?
Last edited by basskozz on Sat Mar 25, 2006 6:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
basskozz
BIOS Newbie

Long story short...

I found out that it's not the voltage thats causing my problems but the SPD settings on the memory chips are too fast and the bios settings are set too slow so Memtest shows errors.

I need to be-able to adjust the BIOS settings to change the CAS setting from 3 to 2.5 to match the chips I am using. But because the bios is locked down, I can't :(
Suggestions?
KachiWachi
The New Guy

This shouldn't be an issue...you can always run the RAM slower than it was designed for.

Does the RAM pass test in another machine?
basskozz
BIOS Newbie

Yes, ram works fine in my other machine :(

I am really looking for a way to un-lock this BIOS, anyone have any idea's ?
KachiWachi
The New Guy

WPCredit?
basskozz
BIOS Newbie

Now I tried two different DIMM's (2x512 Kingston & 2x512 Corsair PC3200/DDR400/200MHz) that ran at 2.5-3-3-7 perfectly in my other comp... but when I put them in this comp they ran at 165MHz DDR331 ?

How can I adjust the timings on this limited board?
basskozz
BIOS Newbie

KachiWachi wrote:WPCredit?
:?:

Whats that mean?
KachiWachi
The New Guy

WPCredit is a program that allows you to look at and modify the chipset registers "on-the-fly".
The Coolest
New visitors - please read the rules.

baskozz wrote:Now I tried two different DIMM's (2x512 Kingston & 2x512 Corsair PC3200/DDR400/200MHz) that ran at 2.5-3-3-7 perfectly in my other comp... but when I put them in this comp they ran at 165MHz DDR331 ?

How can I adjust the timings on this limited board?
You can use my program K8 Mem Speed to adjust memory speed in windows. You can also create a shortcut (and put it in the startup folder) which will change the memory speed automaticall. (read the Readme.txt)