Could a Bios Flash help me?

Questions that don't belong in the other forums.
Zanshin
New visitors - please read the rules.

I recently purchased a new 160 gig hard drive, and twice it lost all the data on it. I got a new replacement drive from the manufacture (through the store where I purchased it), but it once again lost all the data.

I was wondering if this problem could be related to my bios being out of date.
I have heard that certain Bios only support up to a certain hard drive size.

I have tried everything else I could think of, but I as I wrote above, the problem reoccurred.

My Bios is listed as an Award Modular Bios 6.00PG VT8366-8233-JD6LVC0CC-00

On other thing is that I am in Japan, where the mother board was purchased. I don't know if that has any bearing on the motherboard number and manufacturer or not.

Also, I am having trouble figuring out which Bios Flash I should use. If I am reading the information correctly, it is a VIA motherboard.

So I guess I should use the awd822a.exe V8.22A. It seems like this flash is used for a large number of motherboards. Is that correct, or do I need to find another flash that is exclusively for my motherboard.

And the last thing that I would like to ask is about installation. It says that I need to install the Flash Bios from pure dos mode. I am running WindowsXP, which I believe doesn't have a dos mode. I don't think I should run the flash from a windowed dos command prompt. What should I do?

Thanks to all for reading and your time.
Denniss
BIOS Guru

Some kind of Chaintech motherboard - have a look onto board - there should be a small sticker onto the Bios flashrom with the model number

Try another IDE-UDMA cable and make sure your PSU is stromg enough -delivering around 12V on the 12V line and not 11.4(or less) or 12.6(or more)