Custom computer, different Bios. Abit Av8 help.

Questions that don't belong in the other forums.
tkozy
New visitors - please read the rules.

I have an Alienware system with an Abit Av8. Abit tech support stated that because it was a custom computer, Alienware released its own BIOS updates for the board, not Abit.

Alienware stopped releasing updates a long time ago and the updates from Abit cause the error: "The program file's part number does not match with your system!".

I have read the section in the FAQ's that deals with this problem, but the message still appears after I've done the whole "awdflash av8_28.bin /py" jazz.

How can I update the BIOS with the latest edition from Abit?
Denniss
BIOS Guru

Please post your current Bios-ID ?

It may be either possible you have an OEM Version using a different Bios or your flashprog complains because Abit often uses the last two digits of the Bios-ID as a Bios version indicator.
tkozy

My BIOS ID is: K8T800P-8237-6A7L1A1EC-00

The OEM states that the BIOS is for "Alienware use only".

Does that help?
It may be either possible you have an OEM Version using a different Bios or your flashprog complains because Abit often uses the last two digits of the Bios-ID as a Bios version indicator.
Last edited by tkozy on Sat Feb 28, 2009 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tkozy

It seems that Alienware has changed the mobo slightly so that it is impossible to update the bios to a version not released by them.

I was wondering if replacing the bios chip would solve this problem or not.

/bump
tkozy

bump
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

That way you would at least have a chip with a working bios in it and use the other one for the Abit retail bios. You could try and hotflash that second chip or buy one with the retail bios already on it at http://www.badflash.com
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

System error, strike any user to continue...