error 5 - file size wrong? shuttle av49pn ami bios flash

Questions that don't belong in the other forums.
shuttleav49pngrr
New visitors - please read the rules.

I finally understand the task of flashing an older bios with a floppy boot and the rom file on the floppy. At the prompt I enter "dir" and see my .rom file and the "aminf339.exe" file but when I enter aminf339 av49ps06 /a (or without the /a) I get...

<>chipset type - via via8237
<> flash part - winbond 49f002u_v3
> error 5 - bios file not of proper size (and the text turns red like its mad at me)

The bios file on the floppy is 262,144 as well as on the shuttle site. I feel the bios flash in ncessary for allowing the use of ddr400 on this board as well as eliminating old bios as a possible problem with the system in my troubleshooting process. [/b] :twisted:
Denniss
BIOS Guru

Try aminf339 av49ps06.rom

Make sure your floppy is errorfree !! Us the "driver free for Bios flashing" Floppycreator from www.bootdisk.com to create a 100% errorfree floppy
shuttleav49pngrr

sorry, I did that aminf339 av49ps06.rom I also put amiflash on the floppy, ver 7.10 but it says "system bios does not have flash support" press any key to exit. some more info, the system is newly assembled and very unstable, drive utilities giving read sector area only on this board, sata 250gig. dvd drive is acting up, its more stable with 256ram than 512 or 1gig, video and floppy seem stable with different cards (geforce 5200-256 & ati9600xt-256), I think this board is toast so bios may not even fix it.........

the cmos was cleared a couple times, i dont know if the jumper on this one should be in clear cmos position for biosflash? Im going to consider a rma now, the company i bought the board from has mostly low quality components and this is typical of them, this was my last order from them. i wouldnt put it past them to flash a bad bios in because i told them how terrible they are and was going to write some reviews (geeks.com) they actually sent me stuff once with no packing material to retaliate for complaining, and sent me only bad parts another time when I had an advanced exchange part enroute back to them but not recieved yet. they seemed amazed that my orders have totalled $4,000+ together and must think someones going to rip them off for $50-$200 items. they just lost a customer basically. grrrrrrrrr
shuttleav49pngrr

i tried the error free disk utility from the link

a:\>dir
command com ########
autoexec bat ########
aminf339 exe ##########
av49ps06 rom #######

a:\> aminf339 av49ps06.rom
<>chipset type - via via8237
<> flash part - winbond 49f002u_v3
>old bios - realease 10/29/03
>new bios - release 02/04/04
>old bios tag is <pt800-8237-c-00> -- new bios tag is <pt800-82>
> the bios rom file is correct
> press [enter] key to continue or [esc] to abort...
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>....................

then it restarted and I hit the button to enter my bios and am going to set it to optimal or whatever that next thing is.

THANKS FOR THE HELP! I dont know if this will fix it, seems to be running faster as usual, all the comonents worked well on another board so tis probably the board anyway. Took 3 weeks for this problem to appear so I doubt im going to monitor a bios for 3 weeks and wait for problems, I have already ordered a replacement. Now I will know how to flash the old ami bios on the new one anyway. thanks again!
KURIAKI

Shuttle has a Windows-based flash utility:
ftp://ftp.shuttle.com/BIOS/utility/AMI winflash.zip
More than 100,000 BIOS strings in my database just now!
http:/ /www.kuriaki.has.it/
http:/ /www.supportbios.info
------------------------------------------
Saludos desde Cancun, Mexico
KURIAKI