Flash rom protected

Questions that don't belong in the other forums.
belial
New visitors - please read the rules.

Hi folks,

I posted here, but my motherboard ins´t exactly dead (but it will because i´m getting mad with it)

My motherboard:
GA-8S661FXM-775

"I could not post the url to the site."

I recently updated the bios to F4 version using the @BIOS tool provided in the GigaByte site.
This update run whitout problems, no error, in the post the info was ok and even the Q-flas utility now appears.

The problem is, after that update, in the post before the first XP graphic screen I receive an line in DOS: FLASH ROM PROTECTED.

That do not bring me any problems, because my system works well.
I just need to reactivate windows XP license.

If I use any other tools to flash ou reflash the bios again, I got rom protected errors.
Tools already used: Q-flash, Uniflash, new @BIOS version, Award flash.

In the bios interface, using the CTRL+F1 the options to protect the bios is show, but even in auto (unprotect bios) I keep receiving the message.

In the motherboard there are no jumpers for WP_ROM, just the info.

I hope you can help.

Thanks
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

sounds like the @BIOS tool left something in your startup files somewhere and did not remove it afterwards.
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

System error, strike any user to continue...
belial

Yes, indeed.

And how I do remove it?

I saw some post in foruns about hot flashing.
Maybe is may case, but I do not have the tools or other motherboard, which seem to me is necessary.
Czerno

belial wrote: I recently updated the bios to F4 version using the @BIOS tool provided in the GigaByte site.
This update run whitout problems, no error, in the post the info was ok and even the Q-flas utility now appears.

The problem is, after that update, in the post before the first XP graphic screen I receive an line in DOS: FLASH ROM PROTECTED.

That do not bring me any problems, because my system works well.
I just need to reactivate windows XP license.
Almost all chipsets have means for protecting the flash memory from reprogramming, it looks like that update from GigaByte has activated it for you; since it is protecting you against malware that would try to 'creep into' the BIOS it's a GOOD thing ! Why would you compalin or try to qswitch the protection off ?

Next time you have to update your BIOS (maybe never) use the tool provided by your manufacturer once again, not some 3rd party which might not know how to unlock the PROM. If in doubt I suggest you asked Gigabyte's support for confirmation.
fullcontrol

to remove write protect flash firmware hub WP# and TBL# pins should be 3.3v if not 1.x v or low flash is write protected