Frame Buffer size change

Questions that don't belong in the other forums.
Michoo
New visitors - please read the rules.

Hi,
I'm having a problem with an old computer(s), Compaq Deskpro EN (small form factor). It's based on 810/815 chipset. Graphics chipset is intel 815. Frame buffer size is very small (current size is 1024kB) and it makes a problem for me. Is there any way to change (by some editing software) frame buffer size, or to unlock/unhide frame buffer size change option in BIOS?
I've used newest BIOS, but there is no option that I need.
I'll be really gratefull for help (if not possible - i'm stuck with useless junk... a lot of junk :( ).
Best Regards
Michoo
cp
BIOS Guru

the frame buffer size is dynamically adjusted by the driver according to the needs of the selected resolution and depth. is there a particular problem after you installed the drivers (Windows XP i suppose)?
If you email me include [WIMSBIOS] in the subject.
Michoo
New visitors - please read the rules.

Hi cp,
for me frame buffer is needed for bootable linux (only vesa driver), that is connecting to terminal server via RDP. I found workaround (recompiled kernel with aditional driver), but it's the extremity that i like to avoid :) (I don't want to make custom scripts and config files...). I need 16 megs dedicated memory for graphics.

I found something called TweakBIOS, but i've never tried it. I'm not sure if this can help me. I had the same problem on few machines (intel chipset mostly) and the solution was to increase amount of graphics dedicated memory.

I would use some AGP graphics instead (a lot in stock) but this version of deskpro EN (small form factor size) has no AGP slot :/ And I don't have PCI cards with enough memory...

Machines are 256MB SDRAM, it's enough for their use and enough to allocate by integrated graphics.
cp
BIOS Guru

if you are using X there's a driver for the i810, no need for any kernel modules. and if you won't use X then you can still compile kernel drivers as modules and load them dynamically. trust me, an accelerated console with native drivers is way better than a vesa console.
even a custom kernel is no voodoo and quite simple when you know your hardware and needs. you can even compile the kernel on another machine and keep the config files for the next machine only making minor changes.
If you email me include [WIMSBIOS] in the subject.