Gateway GM5424 -- Need Original BIOS!

Questions that don't belong in the other forums.
no_bones
New visitors - please read the rules.

As others have done before me, I made the mistake of flashing the BIOS on my Gateway (GM5424) with the latest vanilla Intel BIOS. Big mistake!

Now Gateway says "you've voided the warranty" and won't provide me with the correct BIOS image.

If anyone out there can help, what I need is the following BIOS:

MQ96510J.15A.0307.2006.1214.1911

This is for an Intel DG965OT motherboard.

Thanks in advance!

no_bones
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

There's no bios update yet available at the Gateway site. You will have to wait until they release one. What happened to making backups of your old bios before flashing...
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

System error, strike any user to continue...
no_bones

About the same time that the "Intel Express BIOS" update tool started flashing the BIOS I realized that it did not give me the option of backing up first.

Live and learn!

no_bones
no_bones

OK, so I may have located a copy of the original Gateway BIOS. Now when I try to load it, I get the dreaded "BIOSID's Do Not Match" error telling me that I can't go from the Intel BIOS to a Gateway BIOS.

The two BIOS versions in question:
- MQ96510J.86A.1649.2007.0226.1756 (Intel)
- MQ96510J.15A.0307.2006.1214.1911 (Gateway)

Does anyone know of a way to force iflash.exe to burn the Gateway BIOS on top of the Intel BIOS?

no_bones
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

All Intel boards have one jumper. Power off, remove the jumper and put in the upgrade disk in th PC. Power on, it should perform a recovery flash with the bios at hand (which should be you gateway bios). I don't know of any other method to force-flash an Intel board with iflash.
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

no_bones

Thanks for the info - that's the ticket exactly! I have now successfully re-flashed the BIOS back to the original Gateway rev and have "reactivated" my version of Vista.

All is well. Thank you to everyone for your help.

no_bones
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

Could you send me your backup file please so I can help out other people that really managed to fubar without backup? Thank you in advance.
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

ReacT

bump!

ok so i've done exactly the same thing on my GM5066B with exactly the same outcome, i'm not even sure if formatting & a clean reinstal with solve the problem. i've always been blissfully unaware of problems arising after flashing the bios.

suffice to say now my pc is out of action until i can find a fix. does anyone have a copy/backup of the above mentioned bios & a walkthrough guide as to how i can replace the intel one which is loaded at present?

i'm assuming i need some sort of boot cd/dvd with the bios on their and to remove the jumper.

any help will be greatly appreciated.

thanks in advance.
no_bones

Do you know what BIOS version you had originally? (for example, mine was: MQ96510J.15A.0307). If so, you may be able to find a copy at the Gateway ftp site under the pentium folder. I found mine there in the "mq96510j" folder.

FTP location:
ftp://ftp.gateway.com/pub/hardware_support/bios/pentium

If you don't have any luck there, try google'ing (or dogpile'ing) your BIOS version. You just might find something useful. That's how I ultimately found my original BIOS.

Good luck!

no_bones
ReacT

yea luckily we have exactly the same bios, i don't understand how i couldn't find it through the gateway http site.

anyway i've updated the bios back to the original version & activated my version of vista again. thanks for your help mate i've only had my pc a month & i already thought it was a lost cause.

wont be doing that again in a hurry! now back to my hardware mods ...

:)