Have to reflash the BIOS every time I reboot

Questions that don't belong in the other forums.
Vynce
New visitors - please read the rules.

I have a Soyo SY6BA+IV motherboard in one of my computers. I bought it used a few months ago. The problem is that every time the computer starts up, the BIOS is corrupt and I get the bootblock screen. No amount of hitting the reset button or turning on and off will get it to boot. I can easily boot up with a boot disk and flash the BIOS. The computer boots fine after a new flash, but if it has been running for a while and I restart it I have to get the boot disk out again :evil:.

I have tried to flash it with UniFlash, but I just get a screen full of flashing colored symbols at the beginning of the flashing process.

Any ideas on what is going on here?
Thanks
NickS
BIOS Bodhisattva

Sounds as though you could actually have a bad flash chip with a leaky storage location.
Tested patched BIOSes. Untested patched BIOSes.
Emails *will* be ignored unless the subject line starts "Wim's BIOS forum"
Vynce

Yeah, I was thinking that it was probably something like that. I also have two other similar Soyo boards (SY6BA+100 and SY6BA+III) so I'll see if I can use the BIOS chip from one of them.
Vynce

I replaced the BIOS flash chip with the one from one of the other Soyo boards and hot flashed it. So far it is working fine. I'll come back here if it starts causing trouble again ;).