Help selecting correct BIOS d/l from mfg. site

Questions that don't belong in the other forums.
frankinla
New visitors - please read the rules.

:) Hello!

Board: TI6NB-T4-0127 (2A69KM2AC-00)
Mfg: TMC
URL : http://www.mycomp.com.tw/bios.htm

The manufacturer's site lists 5 different BIOS downloads for "TI6NB".
I've sent them several e-mails asking which one is correct for my board, but they have not answered me.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Frank in L.A.
ajzchips
El cheapo dude

04/27/1999-i440BX-W977TF-2A69KM2NC-00
TI6NB+-P5-0427

10/14/1998-i440BX-W977TF-2A69KM2CC-00
TI6NB-S7-1019

02/01/2000-i440BX-W977TF-2A69KM2AC-00
TI6NB-T6A-0201

12/26/2000-i440BX-W977TF-2A69KM2NC-00
TI6NBF(S)+ -M4-1226

Your board seems to be candidate number 3: TI6NB(2MB)
frankinla

I will try that.

(Those humps in Taiwan wouldn't respond to me about their own product, but a guy on the other side of the planet provides the answer. Viva la internet!!)

Muchissimas gracias, senor! :)

Frank in L.A.
frankinla

:cry: Well, I flashed with the suggested 2MB BIOS. The system boots & seems to run OK, except the system speaker now emits a continuous "low, high, low, high" like a police siren right from the power-on. (I fixed this problem by disconnecting the speaker! Heh!! 8) I tried to update the system speaker driver from my Win98 disk, but it said I already have the correct driver. So, I assume this indicates some kind of conflict.

I did some research re: Award BIOS beep codes and found conflicting information. One site said Award BIOS only gives one long beep and has no other codes. Another said it varies by manufacturer. I didn't find anyone saying what my specific "low high" continuous tones mean.

I was trying to upgrade my BIOS as part of my attempts to solve a mysterious performance problem which suddenly started occurring (runs slow for no reason, no recent software or hardware changes, no viruses, hard disk is OK). One possibility I suspect is a RAM failure due to overheating, although there are no error messages to support this.

Is it possible the new BIOS is signalling to me that there is a hardware problem (e.g., bad RAM or processor), or do you think I might have installed the wrong BIOS upgrade?

Frank in L.A.
ajzchips
El cheapo dude

I'd try clearing CMOS if I were you. And do check whether you have a temperature warning setting in BIOS that's set too low.
frankinla

Thanks for that suggestion. I didn't realize I had to reset the CMOS. I have now done that, but still the speaker is squawking & system still runs like a dog. This is all after removing most of the software, reinstalling the OS, checking for device conflicts, updating drivers, verifiying the CPU fan is working, multiple virus scans, registry clean-up utilities, scan/defrag the HD, trying a different HD, etc. The BIOS upgrade was my last hope. :cry: I'm going to see if I can borrow some identical RAM from a friend to try. If that doesn't work, I'm going to use this damn thing as a planter! :) Oh, well...I guess I deserve a new system anyway. :) Thanks a lot for your help.

Frank in L.A.
Rainbow
The UniFlasher

The siren sounds mean some failure that was detected by hardware monitoring chip - voltage out of range, temperature too high or not working fan.
Patched and tested BIOSes are at http://wims.rainbow-software.org
UniFlash - Flash anything anywhere
ajzchips
El cheapo dude

In your CHIPSET FEATURES SETUP (BIOS) you have an entry called CPU WARNING TEMPERATURE. Try setting it to Disabled and see if it still "squawks".