Intel SE440BX-2 wont flash

Questions that don't belong in the other forums.
behind_times
New visitors - please read the rules.

I have an SE440BX-2 motherboard with a Pentium III 800MHz that I am working on. On boot up I get a “Invalid System Configuration Data – run configuration utility” error. The BIOS string is showing 4S4EB2X0.05A.0006.P005 and a 700MHz processor. Everything that I could change in the BIOS is correct. It does not let me change the processor speed (with jumper in maint. Config). I was thinking that the BIOS is out dated but it will not accept the 4S4EB2X0.86A.0024.P17 update I down loaded from Intel’s web site.
This is the first time I have ever attempted a BIOS update, but I believe I did it correctly. The initial file contained the 4 files as mentioned in the readme file. I then expanded the BIOS.exe file and moved them to a boot disk and re-booted the pc. The screen shows that it is up–dating the BIOS and then shows that is has completed and to re-boot. Upon re-boot, everything is still the same.
I know I’m behind the times as far as processor speed goes, but believe it or not this PC would double the speed of my current PC.
bizzybody
BIOS Rookie

I think you'll have to find a slower CPU so it'll boot, then you'll be able to flash the latest BIOS with support for the 800Mhz PIII.

Another possibility is according to the errata and update PDF from the Intel site is earlier revisions (there's a ton of revisions of that board!) have issues with the faster CPUs even with the latest BIOS.

The latest BIOS also gives it support for up to 768 meg RAM. If your CPU is a 100Mhz bus you must use 100Mhz (or 100Mhz compatible PC133) RAM.