legacy support

Questions that don't belong in the other forums.
megaman322000
New visitors - please read the rules.

Hey friends,
This is my first time visiting Wim's. Thank you for being here. :)
I need to know if there is such a thing as a windows based program or utility that can read my bios settings to determine if I have Legacy Support enabled.
Whenever I reboot my pc, the starting screen says to press F2 to enter CMOS. My usb keyboard does not respond until after windows xp loads. I do not have a PS/2 keyboard or adapter so that I can access my bios screen at startup. I know usb to PS/2 adapters are fairly cheap, but right now I just want to try to find some kind of software that allows me to check that one setting.
Thank you all for your time and patience.
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

borrow a PS/2 keyboard and set the bios correctly. this is one of the things you can't set from within windows.

Press F2 to continue sounds like the board has a bad CMOS battery BTW.
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

System error, strike any user to continue...
megaman322000
New visitors - please read the rules.

Thanks Edwin. I went ahead and bought myself a usb to ps/2 adapter and entered cmos. The legacy support was disabled so I enabled it and then restarted my pc. At the first screen where it says hit F2 to enter cmos, I pressed F2 and it still would not access it. Either my settings change didnt save or the cmos battery is bad as you suggested. Maybe I didnt save properly or something. I will try it again after I get home from work in the morning at 3:30am.
NickS
BIOS Bodhisattva

megaman322000 wrote:I will try it again after I get home from work in the morning at 3:30am.
Hey, don't expect us to be online! :wink:
Tested patched BIOSes. Untested patched BIOSes.
Emails *will* be ignored unless the subject line starts "Wim's BIOS forum"
cp
BIOS Guru

the bios expects a ps/2 keyboard even if there's legacy usb support..even on an AsRock K7VTA4+ an usb keyboard doesn't work before the OS loads appropriate drivers :(
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

OptiPlex GX260/GX270 does work with USB keyboards in the bios. Just make sure there's no USB hub or KVM switch between the keyboard and the system.
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

System error, strike any user to continue...
cp
BIOS Guru

yes, there are pcs that are completely legacy free..some dell computers are (like those at my new work :))