I need to edit the un-editable options in my BIOS...

Questions that don't belong in the other forums.
imweip
New visitors - please read the rules.

I'm trying to figure out if there is a way to edit the actual update for my bios. I flashed my bios to fix a password issue, and in doing so, caused my usb ports to only work at 1.1 now.

I have an Averatec 4265 laptop, and they do not offer any bios updates on their site, even originals. I think the update I used was from Uniwill (they make the laptop for averatec, and have an identical model: m30eix). I sent the laptop in for service twice, and they can't fix the problem. The tech support jerk told me the repair center only has access to whatever drivers are on the averatec site. (So in other words, I can do as much good as they can, or more).

I'm wondering if there is a way to go into the update file, and edit some things. I tried opening it with wordpad, and that was no luck.

Here is a link to the update file, if it helps: http://uniwill.com/UserDownload/m30ei/bios/M30EI107.zip

I'm sorry if this is a well covered issue, I just can't seem to find any documentation on it. I know people can create hacked BIOSes, but it appears that there aren't any for my laptop. I'm just looking for the documentation I'd need to do it myself. If there is any. Thanks!
imweip

Oh, and there are not options or any mention of USB ports in the current bios.
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

Kick out all USB ports/hibs from device manager, reboot system and let windows redetect them for starters. This usually solves the problem. You do have SP2 for XP loaded, right?
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

System error, strike any user to continue...
Snappy

Hi there ... you are not alone ... I've been stuck with this problem for 1.5yrs and have not gotten anywhere with any manufacturers or help from users.

I've recently started a blog here ... http://averatec4200.wordpress.com/

I've tried asking for over a year at averatecforums.com ... but those 4265 users there just ignore the post. One came really close to sending me the BIOS backup ... but after a few emails, went silent.

If I do find a source, I'll let you know. And if you could do me the favor, I would really appreciate it! :)