Need help updating my BIOS

Questions that don't belong in the other forums.
Faizaud
New visitors - please read the rules.

Hey, I've been having problems with my video card and it was suggested to me that I update my BIOS and Chipset Driver, however I'm having trouble finding the updates. I'll try and list what I think you'll need to help me find what I need. If you need any other info, please let me know and I'll try to get it to you.

Manufacturer: Cicero Electronics Inc. (I tried their site, but I can't seem to find my model on it)

Mainboard: Seanix SiS-650

Bios: Award Software International, Inc.

Chipset: SiS 650

Thanks in advance.
cp
BIOS Guru

links to the vga drivers:
http://www.wimsbios.com/phpBB2/topic9748.html

make sure to get the AGP and IDE drivers from the SIS homepage ( http://www.sis.com ), too. the agp drivers include the chipset and usb drivers btw.

are there any issues that make you think that you definately need a bios update?
If you email me include [WIMSBIOS] in the subject.
Faizaud

well I got this video card (GeForce 7600GS) a while back, and I haven't been able to get it to work correctly..so I wanted to try updating the BIOS, motherboard...basically everything, but I wasn't sure what to download, or where to find it.
cp
BIOS Guru

oh, forget about the vga drivers. get the vga drivers for your geforce @ nvidia.com
just install the agp drivers from sis.com
make sure your power supply supplies enough current for your mainboard and the vga.
Faizaud

I actually ended up buying a brand new PSU, with more than enough power to run the video card, but it was still giving me problems, so I returned it, got a new one...but still had the same problems, so I'm just trying to update everything I think would need updating to try and get this card working right
cp
BIOS Guru

actually what is your problem at all with the video card? did you install the lastest drivers from nvidia? they are all you need to get it running properly.
Faizaud

yea, I did install the latest drivers. Multiple times in fact. I even tried an older driver (93.71) but that didn't work either.

The problem I'm having is a little hard for me to explain...basically when I run a 3D game, the graphics go a little haywire. I get polygons (for lack of a better term) popping up all over, some are stretching all over the screen, and in other places there are just holes in the graphics (I can see through a portion of a wall for example) I'll add some screen shots so you can get a better idea of what I'm talking about.

It usually gets much worse than those shots, but that's basically the problem I'm having.
Denniss
BIOS Guru

PCIe or AGP variant of your graphics card ?
If AGP try to disable AGP Fast Writes. If your board is AGP8x capable try to force AGP4x.

Have you ever thought of a damaged card? It soes not seem to work properly.
Is it only this specific game you have problems with or do you have problems using 3DMark or similar benchmarks too ?
cp
BIOS Guru

AGP variant i guess. since it should run with a SIS650 chipset :)
did you install the SIS AGP drivers?
Faizaud

Yea, it's an AGP card, and my board is AGP 4x...I downloaded the AGP Gart Driver from SIS, and installed it, still no change

Denniss, I did think of a damaged card. I contacted BFG about it, and I ended up getting a brand new card from them, but I'm still having that same problem. It happens with pretty much any 3D application I run. Either the graphics end up like that, or the it just freezes and I have to restart the computer. Could it be that my board isn't compatible with DDR2 RAM? Because the card is GeForce 7600 GS OC 512MB DDR2...I tried looking up info for my board on the net but I can't find anything :\
Denniss
BIOS Guru

Your board has nothing to do with the RAM installed on your graphics card. Has your VGA card a connector for an additional power source? Most new cards have such a connector and require this to be connected to not exceed the power specifications of AGP/PCIe.

Please post the full Bios-ID of your board - maybe there's something more recent that may fix your issue.

It may a compatibility issue of your board with your VGA card.
cp
BIOS Guru

the video ram on the vga card has nothing to do with the rest of your system like the mainboard or anything else. so it doesn't matter which kind of ram is installed on the vga. the mainboard wouldn't even notice a difference.

sba (side band addressing) could be an issue, too.

did you try a fresh/clean install of your operating system only installing the nvidia vga driver and the sis agp driver?
Faizaud

I haven't tried a fresh install of the OS, I had recently formatted my computer though (about three months ago)

I am a bit of a novice when it comes to these types of things, so could you tell me what sba is exactly, and how I would determine whether it's an issue or not?

As far as the card itself, it does have a connector for an additional power source and I have it connected to the power supply. My PSU is 500W and has 28A on the +12V rail, so it has more than enough power to run the card. Also, where would I find the full Bios-ID of my board?