Need help updating BIOS

Questions that don't belong in the other forums.
bartgrefte
New visitors - please read the rules.

Denniss wrote:Try a bootable floppy with DOS-drivers for your CDROM - every Win98+ bootdisk has these DOD drivers .
-> Should be enough to boot and to install Linux
How can i start the installation from dos?? Linux doesn't have exe files (i think). Can a windows 98 bootdisk automaticly start the setup of linux after the cdrom drivers are loaded?
Ritchie wrote:After you sucessfully updated the BIOS, did you remember to:

1) Enter into BIOS Setup and load defaults.
2) Either set all your drives and modes to the AUTO type OR Run the drive autodection option. Also check the floppy is set correctly (most systems 1.4MB on Drive A, None on Drive B) and disable the floppy Mode 3 option (if present).
3) Change the boot order so that the CD-ROM is listed first. If this is not done then the PC may start booting from the floppy or hard disk, if it is able to, before it even checks to see if there is a bootable CD in the drive.
1) I've done that
2) Can't find the floppy mode 3 option
3) I can change the boot order, but i can only choose:
- A: then C:
- C: then A:
- C: only
The computer reads the cd (i used the Suse linux 8.2 LiveEval cd, haven't got the installation iso's on cd yet), waits a few seconds, then it starts windows.
Rainbow
The UniFlasher

There should be bootdisk floppy images on the Linux CD. On Slackware Linux CD, there is also a RAWRITE program that can createt boot floppies from the images in DOS or Windows.
Patched and tested BIOSes are at http://wims.rainbow-software.org
UniFlash - Flash anything anywhere