Packard Bell, Intel 865PE MB bios update help!! - SOLVED

Questions that don't belong in the other forums.
brierot
New visitors - please read the rules.

I have a Packard Bell iXtreme Z804 desktop PC, which i believe uses an Intel 865PESO board or a Intel 865GLC board.

I had a problem with the factory installed Win XP Home edition and had to reformat my drive. After that, I was not able to install Windows again (I have lost my rescue and other CDs).

I figured that Packard Bell had their custom BIOS and somehow it is preventing me from re-installing Windows again. I have tried searching all their websites for support download but my model, Part Number and Serial Number is not even on their database. Sigh!

I resorted to flashing my BIOS with Intel generic BIOS but have not been successful yet.

I have tried using Intel Recovery disk and precedure downloaded from Intel website for their 865PESO board but met with no success.

My current BIOS version is RC86510A.11T.0004.P02

Intel procedure requires me to remove the jumper and put the BIOS in recovery mode and then use the bootable upgrade disk to recover (in the process flash new BIOS). However, when I try it, I get a continuous series of beeps, indicating the recovery fail.

Question - Intel also provides a separate BIOS recovery file, P18-0044.bio. Their documentation is not clear as to whether I need this file in the recovery disk. I tried copying this into the recovery disk but it is too big to fit in.

I have also tried to use UNIFLASH to try and flash the BIOS but cannot find the Intel bios file to use with UNIFLASH. I had originally thought that the P18-0044.bio file is the BIOS binary equivalent to the award bios file with .bin extension.

Question - does anyone know if it is possible to extract the equivalent file to the .bin and flash it using UNIFLASH?
Last edited by brierot on Sat Jun 03, 2006 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
KachiWachi
The New Guy

Have you called Packard Bell yet to get a copy of the correct BIOS file?
brierot

Well, I live in Singapore where Packard Bell no longer has a presence. Sigh!
brierot

I finally managed to flash the vanilla Intel BIOS into my Packard Bell PC, using instructions in this link put up by Kuriaki,
http://www.wimsbios.com/phpBB2/viewtopi ... sc&start=0

This instructions are similar to those posted on the official Intel website but the use of the upgrade disk as specified in the Intel website didn't work. Kuriaki's version of just using a formatted diskette with the .bio file worked for me.

For anyone wanting to do the same as me, you now have me as a guinea pig to thank!
KachiWachi
The New Guy

Glad KURIAKI's instructions were able to help you out brierot! :D
brierot

That's the wonderful thing about forums such as this where we learn from each other's experience. So, I try to give back the little I learnt.