PRESS A KEY TO REBOOT

Questions that don't belong in the other forums.
jamshed
New visitors - please read the rules.

The computer was working fine till I changed the Award Bios boot order from C,CDROM,A to A,C,CDROM. I can boot from a floppy drive but not from the C drive. Now after the boot sequence, I hear a beep and then this message:

PRESS A KEY TO REBOOT

The only option is to reboot. I individually disconnected the harddrive, CDROM drive and the floppy drive to see if they could be causing the problem but it does not help. Any help would be appreciated. :cry: [/quote]
Rainbow
The UniFlasher

Make sure that you have HDD parameters configured correctly. If you use Windows 9x/ME, boot from floppy and see if you can access your HDD.
Patched and tested BIOSes are at http://wims.rainbow-software.org
UniFlash - Flash anything anywhere
jamshed

Ok, I bought a new Hard drive. It is a Maxtor 40G. I connected it to IDE1. The HD is jumpered to CS (factory default). But now the BIOS does not detect the Hard drive. It goes throught the memory check and then hangs at the Detecting Primary IDE. I tried a new cable, changed the jumper to master but the BIOS still does not detect the HD.
Rainbow
The UniFlasher

What board and BIOS do you have?
Patched and tested BIOSes are at http://wims.rainbow-software.org
UniFlash - Flash anything anywhere
jamshed

The board is an FIC PA2013. The bios is Award Modular BIOS v4.60PGA
There is another line below thas says Version 1.15JI38.

I have tried all combinations of the HD settings: CS, M, SL with IDE1, IDE2 but it always gets stuck when detecting the HD. I connected the CDROM as M and the HD as SL on the same cable on IDE1 and then IDE2. The CDROM is detected but the HD is not.
ajzchips
El cheapo dude

jamshed

OK! So I finally got it to work. Thanks for all the help guys. Here is what I think happened.

- I had a working computer with Win98 (original).
- I tried to install Win98 SE by booting from the Win98 Boot Disk
with the CDROM in the drive.
- It went through the boot sequence. I chose the "Install Win98 from CDROM" (or something similar) option.
- It checked the system and then asked me to reboot.

- Now the system would boot and then give the message
"TYPE A KEY TO REBOOT"

I think that in the process of setting up the system, the Win98SE installation must have tried to muck with the HD. In the process somehow the HD lost its format information. Now the BIOS could not read of the HD and went into the boot loop. I had the BIOS set to C,CDROM,A but somehow it only tried to boot off of C eventhough A had a boot diskette.

Here is what I did. I changed the BIOS boot sequence to A,CDROM,SCSI. That is the only way the BIOS would let me boot from A:

Although the HD was detected by the bios, when I went to C: I would get the prompt

C:>

but if I typed dir or anyother command, I got the
"Invalid Media Type reading drive C:" error.
(I wonder if this has to do with the FAT32/FAT16 etc.)

- Used an MSDOS boot diskette which had the CDROM driver to boot.
- Ran this command:
fdisk /mbr
- Then formatted the HD:
format C:
- went to E: (CDROM drive) and typed
setup

The Win98SE installation went all the way and I am back with a working computer with the OS change I wanted. I just lost all the files on the drive as I had to format it. Oh Well!

:)