Problems with startup disk required for AWARD BIOS upgrade

Questions that don't belong in the other forums.
messyk
New visitors - please read the rules.

I am helping my cousin upgrade her Sony Vaio CPU; I have downloaded files, including a BIOS upgrade file from their website. The instructions say to make a startup disk on a 3.5" floppy, and then to copy the BIOS file material over to the same floppy. No problem, right?

Tried to make a startup disk on her computer (Win XP Home edition); seems to be fine until I start to copy BIOS files. Then a message comes up that the disk (A) is locked and no further files can be added. Go back to the SONY Vaio site, and uh-oh, they already know this is a problem, and tell you to get a startup disk from Win 98 or Me, that the 'locked disk' problem IS INDEED a problem with Win XP startup disk.

I came home and tried to make a WIN XP startup disk on MY computer (it has WIN XP Professional). This disk will accept other files written to it, but NOW, the startup files take up around 555 KB, leaving me 868 KB for the BIOS upgrade file, which is 1.3 MB in size.

What do I do next? Pare down the files on the XP Professional startup disk? Make a startup disk from a previous version of Windows? (and if that is the case, how do I go about accomplishing that?)

All I know is my Dell had better instructions for its BIOS upgrade, and the instructions actually WORKED.
Denniss
BIOS Guru

Use a google search to find drdflash.exe. Executing this exe will create a freshly formatted and verified bootdisk with lots of space for biosfiles left.
KURIAKI

messyk wrote:the BIOS upgrade file, which is 1.3 MB in size.
Maybe you need to decompress this file first.
Can you tell me where to download your BIOS update file?
More than 100,000 BIOS strings in my database just now!
http:/ /www.kuriaki.has.it/
http:/ /www.supportbios.info
------------------------------------------
Saludos desde Cancun, Mexico
KURIAKI