Release notes version R02-B1 Acer M1100 bios

Questions that don't belong in the other forums.
musicfreak
New visitors - please read the rules.

I have a Acer Aspire desktop, model M1100 (specs here). My purpose is to make AHCI work for my Crucial M4 SSD, my current Bios doesn't support that. My current Bios is version R01-3, string 10/10/2007-RS290-SB600-6A669FK8C-0.
I want to know if it's a good idea to upgrade my BIOS to version R02-B1, I don't have the release notes.

Can anyone help me with this?
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

Sounds like your OS does not natively support this, you need drivers as well, the chipset does, just disable compatibility mode/IDE emulation/whatever (set for native/performance) and it should be in AHCI mode.
http://www.wikihow.com/Install-AHCI-Sup ... tallations

You don't need to pay for the upgrade, get it here:
ftp://ftp.work.acer-euro.com/desktop/as ... R02-B1.zip
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

System error, strike any user to continue...
musicfreak

edwin wrote:Sounds like your OS does not natively support this, you need drivers as well, the chipset does, just disable compatibility mode/IDE emulation/whatever (set for native/performance) and it should be in AHCI mode.
http://www.wikihow.com/Install-AHCI-Sup ... tallations
Thanks for the link, but I run Windows 7 X64 and I see "The problem with using this method described here with Windows 7 is that AMD does not make an ahcix64.sys driver for the SB600 chip under Windows 7" and "There is a need for a separate page for Windows 7 installations on this chip". Can I make AHCI work for my chipset with Windows 7
You don't need to pay for the upgrade, get it here:
I've tried to update my Bios with AWDFLASH.EXE, but I get the "The program's part number does not match with your system" error, see http://www.wimsbios.com/faq/programfile ... tmatch.jsp. Can I safely use the /Py switch, though it's an update from Acer itself...
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

10/10/2007-RS290-SB600-6A669FK8C-0
should be 6, not 2

This is from the Acer M1100 bios update
01/08/2008-RS690-SB600-6A669FKZC-00
"Z" instead of 8.

So basically we're stuck with a different bios for the same machine. Can be Acer has 2 revisions of this board, question is, can you use the Z-revision of the bios for your revision of the board.... I fear only Acer can answer that question. Please contact them with your issue on the mismatching bios string.
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

musicfreak

edwin wrote:should be 6, not 2
You're right!
This is from the Acer M1100 bios update
How did you extract this info?
I fear only Acer can answer that question. Please contact them with your issue on the mismatching bios string.
I've updated my question at http://acer-nl.custhelp.com, let's see what they say. Can I ruin my Bios when I flash it with with an incorrect version? Or can I flash the original version back? (sorry for my Bad english)
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

To flash your original version back you need to make a backup file first and we need to see how easy it is to restore it. Getting back to you soon...
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

musicfreak

edwin wrote:and we need to see how easy it is to restore it. Getting back to you soon...
What can I do so you can check it?
musicfreak

I've got a response from Acer: "for you computer it is not possible to change the AHCI setting of the Bios, it doen't matter if you install the update or not". :?

I have another problem with this Bios, with Windows 7 x64 doesn't start with more then 4 Gb memory installed, and 5 if I use a seperate grapical card. Can this be fixed with a Bios update?
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

Basically they say the latop cannot support SSDs. Ok, will try and find any info on that if anyone has made this work on the Aspire 1700.

Your other issue sounds like a hardware limit issue especially since Acer gives a maximum of 2GB total for this laptop anyway.
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

musicfreak

edwin wrote:Ok, will try and find any info on that if anyone has made this work on the Aspire 1700.
I have a desktop, a M1100. Thanks for trying!
Your other issue sounds like a hardware limit issue especially since Acer gives a maximum of 2GB total for this laptop anyway.
The maximum is 8 Gb according to Acer, with Dual Channel DDR2 667/533/400, Unbuffered DIMM. I have 2 DDR2 800 DIMMS, does that matter?
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

Whoa, mixup, time to take some time off I guess :oops:

What is the brand and model of those memory sticks? Are they exactly the same? If not, that might give ACPI blue screen errors. In windows you can set it not to restart after a blue screen so we can log and analyze the error, please do so and reply with the actual blue screen error.
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

musicfreak

edwin wrote:Whoa, mixup, time to take some time off I guess :oops:
Sorry...
What is the brand and model of those memory sticks? Are they exactly the same? If not, that might give ACPI blue screen errors.
No, the original memory sticks are from Samsung, now I have Crucial ones.
In windows you can set it not to restart after a blue screen so we can log and analyze the error, please do so and reply with the actual blue screen error.
I never get an blue screen error, except when I punt in an external grapical card with 6 Gb of RAM installed. I have the *.dmp and xml files from this error if you wish.
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

ok, so if you put in 8GB of RAM, start windows in safe mode, does it work and how much memory does it report? If it doesn't start, contact crucial with your issue, they guarantee their sticks will work with your laptop for a reason.
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

musicfreak

I don't have 8 Gb of RAM, when I out in 6 Gb and boot in safe mode this 6 Gb is recognised, minus 250 Mb for the on board graphical card. This is also the case in Linux mint.

Acer responded that this is the supported memory configuration:
• Dual Channel DDR2 667/533/400, Unbuffered DIMM
• Support 4 DDRII DIMM (8 GB Maximum capacity)
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

Yep, that is why I said, contact Crucial, Acer says speeds up to 667 are supported, you have 800 sticks and Crucial needs to explain why they delivered you sticks that are out of Acer spec and don't seem to work 100%.
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything