Replaced Gateway BIOS with Vanilla intel-Need to restorei915

Questions that don't belong in the other forums.
dmb
New visitors - please read the rules.

Would anyone who has that gateway be willing to extract the bios from there computer and give it to us? PRETTY PLEASE!
dmb

Man, my fans are still not working correcty. It seems like maybe that fans are wired diferently in the gateway board vs generic intel board.
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

The D915GAG from Gateway appears to be a different model than the retail version from Intel, hence it has its own bios instead of the universal intel EVxxxx variant. The recovery flash procedure has to work on this. It is the only recommended option by Intel to force-flash, no other utilities or methods are even allowed.
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

System error, strike any user to continue...
dmb

edwin wrote:The D915GAG from Gateway appears to be a different model than the retail version from Intel, hence it has its own bios instead of the universal intel EVxxxx variant. The recovery flash procedure has to work on this. It is the only recommended option by Intel to force-flash, no other utilities or methods are even allowed.
I just tried with 3 diferent floppy disks. I copy the AG0816P.BIO file to the floppy disk and take the pin out, and it reads the disk for like 15 seconds and then the light just stays on until i unplug the computer. It just won't overwrite the flash. Oh yeh, and the fans keep getting worst as it goes on, now the fans click on and off for just no appearent reason. Anyone have a generic .bin file for D915AG from gateway!! Thats all I need. Also, if anyone has any hints of overwriting it? PLEASE? THis computer was expensive.
dys

Hi,

I am glad to find this thread where many of you have the Gateway verion of the Intel (Augsburg) 915G Motherboard (mine is in a Gateway 508GE).

I am desperately trying to be able to enable the "Suspend to RAM" mode. According to both Intel and Gateway, the mb supposedly should support it. But I could not find it in BIOS as all.

I have updated to the latest BIOS version from Gateway site: http://support.gateway.com/support/driv ... =125336991
which is AG91510J.15A.0816 (released on 4/8/2005). But under Power Managment in BIOS, I can only set the "After Power Failure" and "Wake On Lan" settings.

I chatted with Gateway support and the person said I "should" see an option of "ACPI Suspend Mode" there.

After further probing, he admitted that he did not actually have a system there. He was only looking at a screenshot which tells him that it should supported.

Finally he gave up and simply said that maybe my updated BIOS version removed the support and an older version may have it.

I wanted to make the system go to S3 state but without that option, I can't.

Anyone here with 508GE motherboard has the ACPI option (especially those who have the Gateway versions of BIOS, considering the negative feedback for using generic Intel BIOS on it)?

What verion of BIOS do you have?

Thanks a lot.
galve2000

i have a question for the original poster:

why did u swap out the Gateway BIOS in favor of the "vanilla" Intel BIOS for yr MoBo?

i also notice that at some point you mention OSX (prsumably OSx86??) and oddly enough i came in search of this thread for similar reasons.

i am trying to install osx86 on my gateway Profile4 and although i had great success with 10.4.1 "deadmoo" image, anything after that (10.4.3 and above) will not boot natively on this PC.

10.4.3 and above run fine via VMWare, if a bit slow.

i believe the issue has something to do w\ the power management settings (ACPI settings or whatever they are called) but in the end i think the problem is that my BIOS is just too old.

my PC has an i845 chipset manufacturd by gateway and the bois date is 8/2003 . i too wanted to swap the Gateway BIOS in favor of a basic Intel one, but i still do a lot of productivity work on my trusty Profile4 and so i am reluctant to trash this machine b.c it is otherwize working beautifully.

then again, i am stuck way baclk in "deadmoo" in terms of osx86 which is kind of disappointing.

when you loaded the Intel BIOS you mentioned losing firewire under osx86. did anything weird happen under XP?

were you able to boot into osx86 natively w\ the old gateway BIOS? obviously the 915 is the same MoBo as the one that shipped in the apple developement kits so its much closer to the real thing than the 845 i am trying to use. but i had such success w\ the deadmoo image, it seems agreat shame to end there.

according to CPU-Z my motherboard chipset is Intel i845E Rev. EO and the SouthBridge is: 82801DB (ICH4)

Would you be able to recomend the Best BIOS update given the information above. i have looked around Intel's website, but its all a bit confusing epsecially since i am using an older MoBo.

thanks in advance for taking the time to reply.

CMM.
dmb

galve2000 wrote:i have a question for the original poster:

why did u swap out the Gateway BIOS in favor of the "vanilla" Intel BIOS for yr MoBo?

i also notice that at some point you mention OSX (prsumably OSx86??) and oddly enough i came in search of this thread for similar reasons.

i am trying to install osx86 on my gateway Profile4 and although i had great success with 10.4.1 "deadmoo" image, anything after that (10.4.3 and above) will not boot natively on this PC.

10.4.3 and above run fine via VMWare, if a bit slow.

i believe the issue has something to do w\ the power management settings (ACPI settings or whatever they are called) but in the end i think the problem is that my BIOS is just too old.

my PC has an i845 chipset manufacturd by gateway and the bois date is 8/2003 . i too wanted to swap the Gateway BIOS in favor of a basic Intel one, but i still do a lot of productivity work on my trusty Profile4 and so i am reluctant to trash this machine b.c it is otherwize working beautifully.

then again, i am stuck way baclk in "deadmoo" in terms of osx86 which is kind of disappointing.

when you loaded the Intel BIOS you mentioned losing firewire under osx86. did anything weird happen under XP?

were you able to boot into osx86 natively w\ the old gateway BIOS? obviously the 915 is the same MoBo as the one that shipped in the apple developement kits so its much closer to the real thing than the 845 i am trying to use. but i had such success w\ the deadmoo image, it seems agreat shame to end there.

according to CPU-Z my motherboard chipset is Intel i845E Rev. EO and the SouthBridge is: 82801DB (ICH4)

Would you be able to recomend the Best BIOS update given the information above. i have looked around Intel's website, but its all a bit confusing epsecially since i am using an older MoBo.

thanks in advance for taking the time to reply.

CMM.
I swapped it basically because i wanted an updated one, it worked, but some thing just stop working. I do not use windows, so i can not say anything about winxp, but VESA settings are all messed up with the vanilla bios and also the fan are broken becuase the the vanilla bios. There are slightly diferent chipsets appearently. I personally am able to run macox86 on it with or without the vanilly bios. I don't use macosx86 anymore, because there are better things (like linus), but i assume somee of the problems could be related to acpi. I *WOULD NOT* recommend putting that bios update on. You CANNOT reverse it, and youll be in the situation i am an, a bios for the wrong mobo. You can't put the gateway bios back on for some reason, and the system is screwy without it.
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

When used with a normal bios update floppy, such as delivered by Intel themselves, the recovery flash will flash the bios back, no matter what. The problem we have here I think is that Gateway refuses to release a useable floppy for this procedure to proceed or they had a major scr*w-up where it comes to stringing their bioses according to the boards/revisions.

I'm not quite sure but something is very fishy if they are using a different string from Intel when initially they were using the same string....
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

galve2000

edwin wrote:When used with a normal bios update floppy, such as delivered by Intel themselves, the recovery flash will flash the bios back, no matter what. The problem we have here I think is that Gateway refuses to release a useable floppy for this procedure to proceed or they had a major scr*w-up where it comes to stringing their bioses according to the boards/revisions.

I'm not quite sure but something is very fishy if they are using a different string from Intel when initially they were using the same string....
so what you are saying, is that I should not attempt this unless I am willing to risk screwing everything up past the point of no return?

have had the sytem since november of 2002 and its been running fine save for a backlight replacement a year or so ago. i think i'll leave it alone and not play around w\ OSx86

CMM.
dmb

galve2000 wrote:
edwin wrote:When used with a normal bios update floppy, such as delivered by Intel themselves, the recovery flash will flash the bios back, no matter what. The problem we have here I think is that Gateway refuses to release a useable floppy for this procedure to proceed or they had a major scr*w-up where it comes to stringing their bioses according to the boards/revisions.

so what you are saying, is that I should not attempt this unless I am willing to risk screwing everything up past the point of no return?

have had the sytem since november of 2002 and its been running fine save for a backlight replacement a year or so ago. i think i'll leave it alone and not play around w\ OSx86

CMM.
Yeh, if you want to play with something, play with linux. I'v been playing with it for 7 years, and have not go bored.
busterhymen77

Couldn't see a way to post the BIOS file, but did so here:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php? ... ntry206073

It has the EV91510A.15A.0123 bin file for use with UniFlash.

Good Luck!
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

Can you email me the file? the one in that forum is corrupt!
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

dmb

yeh, its definitly corrupt. If you send it to me, ill post it on my servers. I think that forum had a cap of l ike 50kB, and i think that archive was a lot larger than that. Maybe post it on rapidshare.

[EDIT] Actually, i don't think i should post it on my server, as i don't want to get in any trouble for distributing copyrighted works. Try rapidshare.de [/EDIT]
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

we can always setup an email-service of some sort ofcourse.
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

BuildSmart

dmb wrote:Man, I didn't know this thread continued, because i thought i had notificaiton on. Anyway, nice information, ill try upgrading to the latest intel flash. And yes, i just ran intel express update and it updated.
I have a much newer BIOS file that will work in your board and I have already confirmed that it does.

I've tried discussing this with you in irc however you're not around when I am or too busy to work on it so let me know when you have time and perhapsa we can schedule some time to fix it up.

BTW, mine now boots from EFI.