Rookie looking for advice.

Questions that don't belong in the other forums.
Zeusius
New visitors - please read the rules.

Good day everyone,

I just recently have been experiencing some serious system instabillity ( freezing up allot) and after updating windows, video, sound etc. I am left to beleive my BIOS may be part of the problem. I just recently installed a Radeon 9000 All in Wonder Video card and I suspect its causing the problems. So I proceeded over to Intel to DL a new version of BIOS only to discover the only update available on their site was a generic patch from 2000, and understandibly didnt have any XP support which is what i am running. Nonetheless I DLed the patch read the readme.txt and followed it very carefully and all I could get it to do was give me a command prompt at A: drive. Any help or advice would be monumentally appreciated here are some system specs Intel P3 600 MHZ MMX, 640 megs of RAM, Win XP SP1a, Intel Motherboard SE44OBX-2, version AA719944-213 ( BIOS is from 99 I beleive).
Ritchie
BIOS Guru

I usually find that freezing up problems is caused by software corruption or too many programs installed hogging resources - or if a hardware problem often the mainboard.

Depending on how convenient it is to reinstall Windows, I sometimes start by first uninstalling unneeded programs and manually deleting temporary files and programs that cannot be removed by add/remove programs, and also do some manual registry cleaning (take care here - can render system unusable!!!). The other thing I do is scan for viruses as well as use SpyBot and Adaware to remove spyware.

If the above fails, I then backup all data, reformat the disk and re-install Windows, and if this clean install routine fails I start looking for hardware problems.