Should I update the BIOS?

Questions that don't belong in the other forums.
Maazeepaan
New visitors - please read the rules.

I just acquired PC which previously ran on Windows 2000 and have now installed Vista. The DVD drive doesn't function at all and the CD drive works intermittently, even though they both appear in the list when booting up and Device Manager sees them. As soon as I put DVD/CD into the DVD drive - it disappears from Device Manager and then the CD drive won't work either.

As PC is quite old I am confused as to whether I am dealing with Vista compatibility issues or if the BIOS really needs updating. Or someone even mentioned changing the battery in motherboard.

When I run the BIOS Agent Plus scan it tells me my BIOS is bad and needs updating but I don't know what will happen should I decide to subscribe to this service. Will it download an update and instructions to run it or will it just direct me to the maker's website.

The BIOS ID is:
62-1016-001437-00101111-040201-SiS735-M830LR
Manufactured by ECS

I checked the AMI and ECS websites for update and couldn't find anything specific.

On newer PC I have successfully updated BIOS using utility on disk that came with the PC. I am a complete novice dealing with BIOS otherwise!

Any advice anyone?
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

Most likely they used Gluxon branded capacitors on this board, these are known bad and will die after a few years. More info: http://www.badcaps.net and time for a new system I think. Maybe you can find the replacement board but I wouldn't count on it.
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

System error, strike any user to continue...