Sony PCG-R505 max memory limit

Questions that don't belong in the other forums.
catgod119
New visitors - please read the rules.

Hello xpander37,

Thanks very very much for checking the part number and confirming the model and OS versions. You're a gem. I was worried about compatibility, but I feel a whole lot safer now. I'm stalking a couple of SODIMMs on eBay and will buy one soon. When I have it installed and tested, I'll post the results here. That will probably be a couple of weeks from now.

I only found one other report on the internet of anyone trying this. It was in an Amazon review from 2002 for a Sony VAIO R505GL, which, like the R505DL, Sony says can only handle 384 MB. The guy installed a 512 MB memory stick. He also used crucial memory (but he didn't give the part number). The guy reported that it was working fine "so far".

Don't worry - I won't blame you if it doesn't work. It's well worth the risk to have that much memory. Thanks again.

-----
xpander37

O not a problem, glad i could be of some help. yeah i read that amazon page also when i was doin my research. altho that does remind me, after installin my memory and having it not boot up the 1st two times i kinda freaked a little bit. i did a little more research and ran into a web site that sold some 512 144pin sticks and it did list the r505 models but the r505dl wasnt on the list! but mine does work, so i would think it would work for u also.

haha i hope you dont blame me hahah, im no hard core techy. yeah it is worth it in my eyes also..... its a old old olddddd laptop, but im really supriesd at how well my r505 still runs. i even got a extended battery for it and a 5200rpm 30gb hard drive for it, i would prefer 7200rpm but eh didnt wanna spend to much money on it any more than i already did. i even painted it black to give it a new look! haha didnt turn out dat bad. its a nice thro around laptop since its so old. i treat my main t43 alot better lol. cheers!
jklfdsa

xpander37 wrote:O not a problem, glad i could be of some help. yeah i read that amazon page also when i was doin my research. altho that does remind me, after installin my memory and having it not boot up the 1st two times i kinda freaked a little bit. i did a little more research and ran into a web site that sold some 512 144pin sticks and it did list the r505 models but the r505dl wasnt on the list! but mine does work, so i would think it would work for u also.

haha i hope you dont blame me hahah, im no hard core techy. yeah it is worth it in my eyes also..... its a old old olddddd laptop, but im really supriesd at how well my r505 still runs. i even got a extended battery for it and a 5200rpm 30gb hard drive for it, i would prefer 7200rpm but eh didnt wanna spend to much money on it any more than i already did. i even painted it black to give it a new look! haha didnt turn out dat bad. its a nice thro around laptop since its so old. i treat my main t43 alot better lol. cheers!
Hey Bro, could you tell me how many chips there are on your new 512 stick? Cos I have got a R505 as well, cheers! :lol:

Hi.

I have the Sony PCG-R505 TF (LA) Pentium III 1.2 GHz.

The vaio has 384 Mb RAM. I upgraded to 384MB Ram.

The computer didn’t boot when I install the chip. I installed other chip and the same. The solution was to reinstall the system. Now it is working very well.

I have a question:

If I upgrade to 512Mb or 640Mb Ram, Will the mother board die?
margatenj

I updated mine to 640mb with SODIMM 512MB PC133 SDRAM 512 MB PC 133 144-Pin chip.

took 5 minutes to install, and worked the first time.

not a bad 20 dollar upgrade

here is a link to the manual for the Sony R505

http://www.eserviceinfo.com/download.php?fileid=25839

and here is a link to a site with all of the Windows xp drivers & bios updates

http://www.gzrcw.net/drivers/sony/R505/drivers_457.html
angrybill

hey guys. thanks for all the inputs so far. I purchased a micron 512mb ram off ebay. poped it in and it worked on first try. my model is r505el.

here's the info the my ram, but i think any low density ram would work.

MT16LSDF6464HG 133B2 PC133S-333-542
US BZABSS0002 200248
512MB, SYNCH, 133MHz CL3

not that it matters, but here's what one of the chip reads:
2WB11
DBHCF
chuck123

I have a sony pcgr505gl and i messed up the bios trying to upgrade it so i could increase the memory.

i need to flash it from dos but i can only find the sony bios utility which runs in windows. Can anyone help me