Sony PCG-R505 max memory limit

Questions that don't belong in the other forums.
?42!
New visitors - please read the rules.

Hi,

I have the PCG-R505 notebook. Sony claims the maximum memory is
384 megs. Intel claims that the 82815EM chipset used in the R505 can
handle 512 megs. According to Sony, there is 128 megs soldered to the
mother board and a memory socket for the rest. My notebook has
another 128 megs in the memory socket and there is a 256 meg
module available.

My question is what limits the max in this system at less then the
chipset limit [BIOS (marketing), mother board limits, something else]
and is there a way around it to achieve 512 megs?

I've contacted Sony and they are no help. I also contacted the BIOS
maker's agent (e-support for Phoenix) and they are no help. Their
utility reports the correct current total and claims the maximum is 512
megs but their support person says I have to take it up with Sony. Is
there any body out there who has gone through this and has some info?

Pete
ajzchips
El cheapo dude

http://users.erols.com/chare/chipsets.htm

Seems like 512MB is the real maximum, and should support a 512MB module, but... since you already have 128MB onboard, it "might" refuse to boot with 640MB (128+512) of RAM, so you might really be stuck with using the 256MB stick for a total of 384MB.
?42!

I did find one 384MB 144 pin SODIMM _X64 module, but it cost over
600 bucks. So between finding a compatible affordable module and
the uncertainty with the BIOS, I decided that the best thing for me
was to just go with a 256MB module that was guaranteed to work in
the R505.

Just watch - now that I've made my move, I'll be flooded with 512MB
solutions (just kidding - I hope).

Pete
veryhuman

forget 512mb, go 640mb

do some searching on google. "r505** parts" replace ** with your model name. there are retailers online who who carry 512mb of ram for some combatible r505 models, and if they carry a 512mb stick for your model. then its safe to go out and and get a cheaper 512mb pc133 , 144 pin stick on ebay

i just got mine 2 weeks ago, hassle free install, the ram are located under the keyboard, on the rightside, push aside the the clips, and the chip will jump out ready to be removed. you'll see the 128mb built in ram right under.
?42!

Hi,

I did and couldn't find anyone selling memory modules for my version
beyond what supports 384 MEG total. While searching, I also saw the
same thing you did - that other - mostly newer versions of the R505
support much more memory. I decided to avoid buying something I
might not be able to use and couldn't return - and upgraded to 384
total. I see improved performance - that is born out by comparing
SYSMON plots now - with before.

Pete

do some searching on google. "r505** parts" replace ** with your model name. there are retailers online who who carry 512mb of ram for some combatible r505 models, and if they carry a 512mb stick for your model. then its safe to go out and and get a cheaper 512mb pc133 , 144 pin stick on ebay

i just got mine 2 weeks ago, hassle free install, the ram are located under the keyboard, on the rightside, push aside the the clips, and the chip will jump out ready to be removed. you'll see the 128mb built in ram right under.[/quote]
renee

Hi. I have a R505JL. I'm looking into upgrading my memory also. Right now, I have 256MB. If I upgrade it, will I see a significant difference? Also, is this something that I need to get someone to do for me, or can I do it myself? I saw that you said it was located under the keyboard, but I'm not sure how to remove the keyboard.

Thanks!
mikebode01

I have a R505DL and I just tried to install a 512 MB card. If I put in the card, the laptop does not boot, not even into BIOS. The power light and the battery light comes on, but nothing happens. I can't even hear the HD spin up. The memory is exactly the same as the 128MB stick in the laptop, except that it is 512MB. anything I can try? BIOS update?
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

get a 256MB stick.
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

System error, strike any user to continue...
xpander37

mikebode01 wrote:I have a R505DL and I just tried to install a 512 MB card. If I put in the card, the laptop does not boot, not even into BIOS. The power light and the battery light comes on, but nothing happens. I can't even hear the HD spin up. The memory is exactly the same as the 128MB stick in the laptop, except that it is 512MB. anything I can try? BIOS update?

i actually have a r505 also, when i first installed the ram it did the same thing and didnt boot just as yours did. i then removed the ram and retried another two times, on the 3rd time it booted up! now my systems properties shows i have 640mb of ram!! maybe the connection wasnt flush the 1st two tries, but eh it works now. im goin to turn off my comp and try to start it up a few more times... ill be riight back with the results!
xpander37

ok im back with some interesting news... i dont kno what the case is but this is what happened... i turned off then powered up a few times and everything was fine with the new 512 ram stick...

so then i tested my computer a little bit with winamps fullscreen visualizations because it was kinda choppy running with the 256 ram stick... now winamps visuals are nice and smooth....good upgrade for a 50 dollar upgrade...

but anyway heres whats funny... i just wanted to compare running winamp again on the old ram... but when i installed the old ram back in the comp, it didnt boot up!!... so i just took it out and put back my 512 ram stick....

if you got a r505dl try upgrading at ur own risk... mine works but it took a few retries before it booted up.... the new ram im using is a sodimm pc133 512mb crucial!! good luck!!
catgod119

I have a Sony VAIO R404DL and am thinking of upgrading with a 512 MB SODIMM. Can you post the part number of the crucial memory you used that worked sucessfully?

Thanks very much.
catgod119

OOPS, that should read R505DL not R404DL.. Sorry
xpander37

catgod119 wrote:I have a Sony VAIO R404DL and am thinking of upgrading with a 512 MB SODIMM. Can you post the part number of the crucial memory you used that worked sucessfully?

Thanks very much.
sorry it took me awhile to respond..... well i cracked open my laptop to see what the specs were on the ram....strange thing is .... there is two stickers on it.... one from crucial and one from micron.... im not sure why there is two....but im sure any 512 pc133 stick would work....i guess crucial or micron haha....i bought mine from ebay for around 50 dollars.... tell me how it goes when u try it out.... if it dont work the 1st time you install it...try taking it out and reinstalling it again... do that a few times and see if it boots.... good luck to ya! so ebay it, just search "pc133 512mb sodimm" its a 144pin ram chip if u wanted to know... cheers!
catgod119

Hello xpander37,

Thanks very much for checking. I think Crucial's memory is made by Micron. That would explain the two stickers. I think the chip configuration on the SODIMM may be very important. Just any 512MB pc133 144-PIN SODIMM will probably not work - it should at least be non-parity and probably non-ECC, unbuffered. I'm still trying to figure all this out.

Anyway, I'm trying to make sure I get the same think that you have so I know it has a good chance of working.

I am betting the Crucial SODIMM you used has a part number on the Crucial stick that looks like:

CT64M64S4W75.xxxx

where xxxx may not be important (I think it's just a lot number, but again I'm not sure).

By the way, you ARE using an R505DL, aren't you? Running XP Home, SP2? Any it's still running fine and using all that memory?

Do you happen to know what version of the BIOS you have?

Thanks again for all the help. I found several SODIMMs selling on eBay and will be watching for the best price.

-----
xpander37

Hey hey,
yup i have the sony r505dl model, 1000mhz pentium3, running on windows xp with service pack 2, and its been running perfectly on 640mb of ram. its my school laptop so i do use it for word docs and internet surfin. nice throw around laptop considering how old it is, and still runs great.

about the sodimm, heres that number u wanted. ct64m64s4w75.16fdy

sounds like you kno alot more then i do with this ram stuff lol.... well hope all this helps ya out!

crucial 512mb 144-pin sodimm 64mx63 sy