Soyo 6ba+IV flash gone bad

Questions that don't belong in the other forums.
Ritchie
BIOS Guru

I don't know whether the video card would be a problem, but considering the age of an ISA card, I would consider it suspect for both compatibility and reliability purposes, and be tempted to replace it with an PCI card.

I assume you are using the Windows restart option when you have the problem. Have you tried also a Windows shutdown, and then, if the system does not power off, using the reset button. If this results in different behavior then perhaps something is not clearing out of the video memory and preventing proper re-initialisation.
absolon
New visitors - please read the rules.

Thanks for the responses.

I kept the VGA card for test purposes, never had a problem with it and it has run on this board under 2K. Had a spare AGP card but it got called into service on the BP6 I'm now using when my primary AGP card quit working. Don't want to get a new one till I've changed out some capacitors on the dead card and they're currently back-ordered. I'm a little leery of pulling the card out of the BP6 to try on the Soyo as the Abit has gone strange since I hot flashed on it. Used to run dual at 550 and now it fights to startup at 366. Got to sort that one out first I guess and don't want to change too much until I do.

The video blanks out when I turn off the machine using the power button. Reset button and restarting from the Windows shutdown menu seems to work OK.

I cleared the CMOS a dozen times trying to get the keyboard, hard drive and video working after installing the fresh bios chip. It was only by accident that I discovered the video didn't need CMOS clearing, just power disconnection.
absolon
New visitors - please read the rules.

Problems appear to be solved. Resetting the bios on the BP6 appears to have sorted out it's issues and using the AGP video card instead of the VGA card solves the video problem on the Soyo board.

Thanks for all the assistance, and for the Uniflash program.