SUCCESS! Intel D845GRG Motherboard BIOS CHANGE !!!!!!!!!!

Questions that don't belong in the other forums.
d.j.h.
New visitors - please read the rules.

Thanks for your help guys.

Edwin:

As far as a jumper on the drive, the jumper was tried either on Cable Select, Master, or removed entirely. All resulted in the drive not being able to be detected on power up. I also had a 200GB drive. For kicks, I put the Promise Technology LBA board (a board that you need when your motherboard can't recognize hard drives past 137GB) that came with the 200GB hard disk in the PC with only the 100GB connected to it. Every time I cold booted the PC, it would always come up. A different story when just plugged into the IDE channel on the board itself.

khuebl:

Thanks for the info on what you can't change in the BIOS by normal means.

So what do you guys think of my other question? Since I flashed the BIOS, the red DIAG light on the board is on. Doesn't really bother me as long as it doesn't hurt anything. Just wondering if there was something hardware related that could be reset to turn it off. Why would it be on after just flashing the BIOS with a different build? Is it the motherboard's way of telling the truth when you flash the BIOS like that?
Zebron

I am currently trying to do the same thing with the same board. I am using IFLASH after having altered the *.bi* files to read 15A instead of 86A. I keep getting a verification error associated with the Intel SIG file.

Any ideas? How was your flash originally done, what hybrid files did you use?

Thanks,

Zebron
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

use recovery method, see my reply in your other thread.
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

System error, strike any user to continue...
dweller

Sorry for the gigantic bump, but I'm trying to do this and not having much luck. I've tried using just the .BIO file and recovery mode, which doesn't work. I also tried using a normally created Intel recovery floppy in recovery mode, as well as one containing an autoexec.bat that reads:

Code: Select all

beep
iflash
as well as:

Code: Select all

beep
IFLASH.EXE Iflash /f /p /P17-0033.BIO
I also attempted setting "Scan User Flash Area" to "Enabled" in Maintenance mode.

The system in question is a Gateway with the BIOS string of "RG84510A.15A.0057.P19". I'm trying to flash "RG84510A.86A.0033.P17.IB" from here. CPU-Z identifies the motherboard model as D845PECE, which signifies it as being an OEM-specific D845GRG/D845GERG2/D845GEBV2/D845GBV per Intel's website. This is Gateway's latest BIOS posted for this motherboard.

Anybody got any ideas?

Thanks.
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

so, you have got a board that has got the RG84510A.15A identifier, you have made a bios update floppy per the instructions from Intel starting out with a new empty floppy disk, you power down the machine disconnect everything but the floppy drive, put in the bios update floppy, remove the flash jumper, power on and then what happens?
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

dweller

edwin wrote:so, you have got a board that has got the RG84510A.15A identifier, you have made a bios update floppy per the instructions from Intel starting out with a new empty floppy disk, you power down the machine disconnect everything but the floppy drive, put in the bios update floppy, remove the flash jumper, power on and then what happens?
Floppy seeks for several seconds on startup, then nothing. Floppy drive's LED stays lit until computer is shut off. I let the computer sit for several moments before turning it off.

Intel's floppy as made per instructions contained a "SW.EXE" which contained the actual BIOS file and IFLASH. The floppy is supposed to create a RAMDISK and extract SW.EXE into it, then flash from there. I doubt this would be possible using recovery mode, so I just tried extracting the contents of SW.EXE to a floppy and trying that. That did not prove successful either.
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

dweller

I copied "P17-0033.BIO" to a freshly formatted floppy disk, removed the BIOS jumper, turned the computer on, floppy seeked for a few seconds, and after 8 minutes the floppy drive's LED is still lit. Nothing seems to be happening.
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

is that what it says in the instructions to make a bios update floppy disk?
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

dweller

edwin wrote:is that what it says in the instructions to make a bios update floppy disk?
Copy the recovery file (*.BIO) to a formatted floppy disk.
Yes.
dweller

Do you have any other suggestions, or am I out of luck?