no video after restart. please help

Questions that don't belong in the other forums.
l-loobashank
New visitors - please read the rules.

i updated my bios and get the checksum error. ok so i enter the bios and load the defaults and when i hit save and exit i hit yes and enter. the screen goes completely blank like it is sleeping. i power it down and tried restarting it with no success so i cleared the cmos. i get the checksum error and continued with loading windows instead of entering the bios. everything seemed to be fine. i then restarted my system and i got nothing but a blank screen after powering back on. clearing the cmos temporarily fixes the problem every time until i restart. i have tried many things in the bios setup but the screen goes blank every time i go to save and exit. this is getting very irritating and i would be very appreciative of any help.
thanks in advance.
*edit*
22 views and not one reply. please help me if you know of anything that could be causing this.
l-loobashank

why is no one responding?
sorry if im not aloud to double post.
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

how old is the system? If more than 3 years it may be time to put in a fresh CMOS battery.

I guess most of the visitors are too shy to post a reply and may have the same problem. As we mods are human we have to eat and sleep at times.
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

System error, strike any user to continue...
l-loobashank

my system is older than 3 years but after reflashing to the original bios everything is just fine so i know its not the battery. i have tried applying failsafe defaults which boots fine but i am having trouble figuring out which setting is causing it to hang after restarting. it is a First international am37L motherboard. i have 768 megs of ram and an athlon xp 2000 cpu. i guess it is just going to take a lot of time and trail and error to figure out which setting to disable.
thanks