Will my current BIOS support WinXP, or will I need to flash?

Questions that don't belong in the other forums.
2scared2flash
New visitors - please read the rules.

My computer has a FIC AD11 mainboard with the AMD 761 chipset, Via 686 B southbridge and a 1.4 GHz Athlon Tbird. The BIOS is an Award 6.00 made on July 11, 2001 just before WinXP was released. I'd like to put WinXP Pro on my computer which is now running Win98 SE. However I'm concerned that the BIOS not support it due to the age because I read about other people who although their machines had fast CPUs and enough RAM, still had to upgrade their BIOS before the machines would accept XP. Is a BIOS upgrade usually just needed if something's inherently wrong with the hardware or is this something that absolutely must be done so I can use XP Pro? Thanks in advance.
Denniss
BIOS Guru

Unless FIC has errors in this Bios there should be no problem using XP

Maybe look at FIC Website for a recent Bios .

But if you have a stable Win98SE there's no need to upgrade to XP - usually you'll get more trouble with XP especially if you don't enable the XP-integrated Software-Firewall and you need a lot of patches/Updates for your OS Security
2scared2flash
New visitors - please read the rules.

I just wanted to upgrade to XP because pretty soon there will be no support for 98. Newer programs made will only support XP and new hardware coming out won't have Win98 drivers.

How is it possible to get more problems with XP than with 98? I thought XP was the better OS because it's an NT based system that's more robust and stable and doesn't lmit itself to those 64 kb user resources like Win9x does.

What kind of problems does XP give if you disable the firewall? Does it crash or give error messages?

My Win98 is usually pretty stable but I like to use the Mozilla web browser which has a known resource leak under 9x. I was hoping that if I upgraded to XP the resource limitation would be a thing of the past and I'd be able to run the browser as long as I wanted without my display wigging out on me.

Please forgive me if these questions seem redundant, but I'm trying to learn all I can about WinXP before I make a final decision.