Windows 8 Upgrade Booting Problems

Questions that don't belong in the other forums.
Godbero
New visitors - please read the rules.

Help! I cannot boot consistently after a shut down or restart. It takes several reboots to get the system back up. It hangs with no video output on first few tries. I get video back and it hangs during POST a few times; then it boots and runs fine until a re-boot.

I have a Asus P5N-E SLI with the following setup:
Intel E6750 Core 2 Duo @ 2.66 GHz
4 Mbs Corsair XMS2 DRR2 memory
EVGA GeForce 9800 GT video card

During the troubleshooting of this problem with Microsoft, Asus and tech websites, I did update the BIOS to the latest version on the ASUS site (revision 1406). I was trying to figure out my BIOS settings when I found this site and ran the BIOS Update Scan. It gave me a few questions. Here are the scan results:

BIOS Type: Phoenix
BIOS Date: November 18, 2009
BIOS ID: ASUS P5N-E SLI ACPI BIOS Revision 1406
BIOS OEM: ASUS P5N-E SLI ACPI BIOS Revision 1406
Chipset: VIA 82C3044 rev 192
SuperIO: Unknown
Manufacturer: Chassis Manufacture
Motherboard: P5N-E SLI
A BIOS Update has been detected for your PC.

1. I thought I had the latest BIOS update from ASUS, do I need to pay BIOAgent Plus to find a newer one?
2. The chipset seems wrong. My motherboard book says my North Bridge is NVIDIA nForce 650i SLI (C55) and my South Bridge is NVIDIA nForce 430i (MCP 51). Visual inspection of motherboard shows NVIDIA chips. I don't have a VIA chipset do I? Is this a problem?
3. If I have the correct BIOS, is there a setting I should try to solve this boot problem?

When I boot this is the BIOS info I get:
Phoenix-Award BIOS v6.00PG
Asus P5N-E SLI ACPI BIOS Revision 1406
11/18/2009-C55-MCP51-P5N-ESLI-00

Any help would be appreciated.
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

1406 is the last official bios for this board. this board is not officially supported under windows 7 already. there's a good chance it is simply incompatible with windows 8.

however, you also need to check both your motherboard and your power supply for bad capacitors. http://www.badcaps.net for more information on that.
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

System error, strike any user to continue...
Godbero
New visitors - please read the rules.

Thanks for the reply. I will look at my capacitors and think about rigging a test, if none look bad.

Windows 8 runs fine once my PC boots. I haven't tried an endurance run, but have left it running over 24 hours without any hiccups. I only have a problem on boot. After several hard drive tests, I was moving away from a hardware problem and thinking it had to be software.

Of course the Windows 8 pre-install app said that only Bit Locker wouldn't work on my system.

I was running Vista Home Premium 32-bit. The system is 4 to 5 years old and was starting to get a little slow. I decided that a clean upgrade to Windows 8 64-bit might breath a little life into it; and I couldn't beat the upgrade price.