Windows XP will not install - must be old BIOS problem?

Questions that don't belong in the other forums.
bstock
BIOS Newbie

Thanks Ritchie,

1) Done that already

2) Done that but can't remember if I reformatted after step one so will do again

3) Don't have another video card I'm afraid.

4) Point taken but surely as the old bios was dated Oct99 and the new bios was dated Nov99 aren't they going to be basically the same anyway?
In which case could it still not be a bios fault?

Also is the fact that the Bios Agent is reporting the Memory Installed and Memory Maximum figures the wrong way round not relevant in any way?

Sorry if some of these queries are a little stupid but most of this is completly new to me

Thanks again
--
Brian
Ritchie
BIOS Guru

As I understand it, your previous BIOS was OK but running 98SE. Then you went to XP with that BIOS and had the same problem as you are having now after updating the BIOS.

So both the previous BIOS and the new BIOS have a problem under XP, but maybe not the actual BIOS that is the problem. If you really wanted to check things out thoroughly you can install 98SE clean (after a format) on the new BIOS and see if it runs clean. If it does you know the new BIOS is as stable as your previous one.

Make sure you try step 2 again with the new BIOS.

If you can get hold of a cheap, known good video card, even second hand, I think this is worth trying. You may need an older one for compatibility reasons and PCI is safer and has less compatiblity issues if you are unsure. For example, a 4MB PCI card should be fine to at least try things out - this is what I would recommend for a safe trial. And if you go this way make sure the XP installation includes a format again as you install.
bstock
BIOS Newbie

Ritchie:

Clean install with format failed again

Have spotted a
3D Rage II+DVD PCI Video Card 4MB part no 109-38800-00

Is it worth trying to get that one providing its cheap of course!

Cheers

-
Brian
Ritchie
BIOS Guru

Yep - if you consider that card a known good working card, and if you are happy with the price you can get it for, that is a good card to go for. I have used ATI Rage II+ cards myself and was happy with them. If you can confirm that the card is compatible with PCI 2.1 before you buy then that further confirms compatibility with your board - as far as I can tell you SHOULD be fine but I am unsure and unfamilar with the DVD in the model number.

As for drivers for this card, I would expect Windows XP to have a built-in driver, but under W98SE you may need to supply a driver.

Even if the video card proves that your existing video card is not at fault, you may find that it is always handy to have a spare known good working video card such as this around.
Ritchie
BIOS Guru

I have just checked the ATI site for you and cannot find the exact model description you mention.

If the card was simply a Rage II+ I am sure this would work on your board - with your given description I am unable to confirm it. However going by the 4MB memory I would expect it to most likely be compatible with your board.

Maybe someone else knows something about this. Emailing ATI is an option but 1) Would probably get a few days to get a response 2) You may not get a response and 3) You may not get the information you are after.
Ritchie
BIOS Guru

I have just had a deeper look into the information available on the website.

I think 3D Rage II+ may be just a longer name for Rage II+, which means you should be fine, apart of-course from that DVD bit which I am still unsure about.

To conclude, I would not advise you one way or the other to try it without being sure that the PCI rev is OK. I think the PCI rev is OK, but I am not sure.

Hopefully someone else here can confirm that for you, unless you want to track down a different card or take the gamble.
bstock
BIOS Newbie

Ritchie:

Thanks, I'll look into it.
bstock
BIOS Newbie

Waiting for video card to arrive so that I can try it but must admit to still being confused regarding the Bios situation.
Ritchie:
So both the previous BIOS and the new BIOS have a problem under XP, but maybe not the actual BIOS that is the problem. If you really wanted to check things out thoroughly you can install 98SE clean (after a format) on the new BIOS and see if it runs clean. If it does you know the new BIOS is as stable as your previous one.
I was not questioning whether the new bios was as stable as the old one or not, rather that as the old one was dated Oct99 and the updated one was dated Nov99 that there was a good chance they were nearly identical and therefore whatever XP did not like with the original most likely the same problem would be with the nov99 version.

I'll try the video card when it arrives but in the meantime I was just pondering about the bios situation - just in case!

--
Brian
Ritchie
BIOS Guru

Sounds good - When it arrives I would swap it into the machine, then try a clean install with a format.

But don't lose sight of the bigger picture - it may not be the video card - so don't be too dissapointed or spend too much time with the video issue if it does not work.
Ritchie
BIOS Guru

Yep I agree with the BIOS issue - based on date you would expect similar or better stability - not as a rule though but as a guideline (may not always be the case).
LoneWolf
New visitors - please read the rules.

One other recommendation. If possible, try a new power supply. Failing power supplies can cause all sorts of strange errors, including reboots under load.

Also, inspect the motherboard for signs of bulged or leaking capacitors. For good example pictures, check out http://www.badcaps.com . If you have some failing capacitors, this kind of behavior could also happen.

The video card suggestion is a good one too after that.
Ritchie
BIOS Guru

I second the suggestion for a power supply. I have personally not seen a lot of power supply problems, but did observe once an AT power supply causing the serial mouse not to work.

And definitely check the board for bulging capacitors - this is a good suggestion by LoneWolf.
bstock
BIOS Newbie

Hi all,

Sadly the video card which did work OK did not help with Windows XP installation but well worth a try.

Had a good look at the board before and all seemed clean and in order but I will give it another examination - thanks for the suggestion.

The power supply, well it seems ok and I'm loathe to spend much more money on it and not sure how to check it. I've already done something that I suppose won't make me very popular with anybdy but I wanted to give the bios thing one more chance.

Right here I go (bite the bullet)....
I actually bought a bios guaranteed to work from the esupport people as recommended on the award website. Well it will no doubt come as a big surprise to any of your goodselves to learn that it did not work, actually had the same number as the one downloaded via this forum. Anyway I emailed them to say their bios did not help remedy the situation and they then emailed me back with another which they said was better for XP (why they did not send it in the first place I don't know)
DID IT WORK?
Well sadly I don't know as the windows installation seems to have taken control of my system and I don't know how to get control back, I'll explain.
Now, whenever I try to boot from "A" Drive I get the message

Remove Disks or other media
Press any key to restart.

I've tried deleting the partition and windows etc but everytime I try to boot from "A" Drive I get the same message, so at the moment I don't know whether it works or not.

Anyone know how to get rid of the booting up message?

Originally I decided to try to install XP on my 6 year old computer because I needed the most upto date security + IE6 for work and feeling guilty about ditching something that worked perfectly OK I took the upgrade leap. Bearing in mind the low cost of new PC's these days probably (well definitely) not the best choice with hindsight. Still if I can get it to work without any more expense I will be pleased - but not overly confident - will the magic bios work, I don't know.

Thanks for all your very helpful advice so far

--
Brian
Ritchie
BIOS Guru

Check the floppy setting in the BIOS.

Am interested to hear the result of the Windows XP installation on the BIOS that is supposed to be good for XP (although I don't believe in O/S specific BIOSs).
bstock
BIOS Newbie

Thanks Ritche,

Already done that, anyway I also mentioned my problem with the esupport people and they emailed me back to say that they had put a bios rom in the post so once again its a matter of waiting.

Will keep you informed of progress or lack of as the case may be

--
Brian