WinXP-SP2 after unistall CORRUPT BIOS ?

Questions that don't belong in the other forums.
HammerHeadHank
New visitors - please read the rules.

HI,ALL

I have a soyo sy-7vda mobo.I installed XP-SP2.Thats when my problems started.after running into several compatiability issues,I decided it had too many bugs as to date.So I unistalled it,Then my problems really began.So here is the scoop,MOBO is populated with a PIII 733MHZ CPU,2x256 Kingston VR333.After the unistall of XP-SP2 the comp. failed to boot Hang at bootblock,setup screen indicated v-core at 1.28v so I whent to adjust the v-core back to 1.75v.To my supprise the v-core adJ.feature somehow got deleted!!SOYO Support told me to reflash to a previous REV.SO i did and to my supprise the problem still exists.IT gets better Comp.hung at bootblock no floppy.I purchased another bios chip flashed to the current rev.GOT a skt.370 to tulatin conv.populated it with a PII1.13GHZ CPU.V-core 1.45v.COMP.fully boots but no v-core adj.thru bios.HAS ANYONE ENCOUNTERED THIS BEFORE?IF SO COULD YOU PLEASE PROVIDE ME WITH A SOLUTION?ALSO BEWARE OF WinXP-SP2!!! :!: :evil:

Thanks,
HammerHeadHank
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

I don't know what happened but I think it's time to RMA the board.
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

System error, strike any user to continue...
ruelnov
Master Flasher

I'm confused how that happened using WinXP-SP2. I'm having no problems using WinXP Pro SP1 on an Intel Pentium 3 mainboard running at 800MHz.

SP2 is supposed to be more stable and reliable than SP1. And as far as I know, SP2 is not officially released yet.

Also, I've never heard of any OS that manipulates or modifies the BIOS image file upon installation (unless you intentionally flash your BIOS at the command prompt).

But you said your CMOS setup options have been changed after uninstalling WinXP-SP2. But how could that be? Maybe you did not clear CMOS after uninstalling. But even then, how could WinXP-SP2 manipulate CMOS/BIOS settings when WinXP could not be loaded unless your PC goes beyond POST?
HammerHeadHank
New visitors - please read the rules.

Well,I ad XP- PRO with SP-1 installed first ,But my curiousty got the best of me so i installed SP-2 and it did indeed manipilated by bios bin file.I've been in touch with soyo support they have instructed me to re flash to an eairler rev.bios but the problem still exists So the sent me another bios file eariler yet which it is not on their site and the problem still exists!On a side note i did clear cmos after each flash,also i may add the want me to rma the MOBO.As to how SP-2 affected my bios I have no clue.Thank You for your input.I am running out of ideas.But i should mention that each re flash i can't get past the setup utility page.Hangs after detecting the drives.

HammerHeadHank
ruelnov
Master Flasher

Ok, and now it's clear to me that it's your BIOS bin file that does not properly support WinXP-SP2. That's why it got self-corrupted along the way when you installed SP2. Not the other way around, because Windows could not directly manipulate the BIOS bin file and save the changes into it in run time mode without user intervention. Changes to the bios bin file can only be made if you use BIOS modding utilities like Modbin or Bios Editor at the DOS prompt and then reflash.

And I think your problem could be solved if you get from Soyo an updated bios bin file that supports WinXP-SP2. And if your problem still persists after that, I should be inclined to believe that it's your BIOS Flash ROM that is messed up. I mean, probably it could not properly store binary data when flashed, or data could not be read accurately anymore.