WOL on EVGA P55 SLI BIOS

Questions that don't belong in the other forums.
bobbintb
New visitors - please read the rules.

I need WOL enabled on my EVGA P55 SLI motherboard. The integrated NIC supports it but the motherboard does not. If anyone can help, I would appreciate it. The forum won't let me post a link since it thinks it's spam.
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

System error, strike any user to continue...
bobbintb

thanks for the response. i did see those posts. one says its not support (which i knew) and the other is for a different model in the same product line. but since there are other boards in the p55 line that are supported, it makes me think maybe it is locked and custom editing the bios may be an option. i looked through the manual and every option in the bios. the boot enable on LAN 2 is for PXE not WOL. i assumed thats what it was but i enabled it and tried it anyway a few days ago and thats what it was.
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

I've seen they say the WOL option has disappeared from the bios in later revisions. This can be an oversight on their part or it can mean it wasn't reliable in the first place because of a design flaw, rather than trying to "fix" that in software they just removed the option. What bios is this, AMI or Award/Phoenix?
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

bobbintb

the bios is AMI. i think they are mistaken about the option being removed. i dont think it ever had it to begin with and they are assuming it did because other boards in that line have it and, honestly, what modern bios *doesnt* have it. i downgraded to several older versions of the bios and they did not have the option either.
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

There's a few modern bioses out there that do not have it for the simple reason you won't be WOL'ing a dedicated gaming machine and you need the space in the bios for other stuff like logic for n-way SLI or whatever. I'll see if I can find a WOL-capable module for that networkchip, however, if the WOL hardware-link isn't on the board, there's no way you can make it work.
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

bobbintb

still trying to work this out if anyone has any suggestions.