Search found 7 matches

by paulus
Sun Jul 27, 2003 11:09 pm
Forum: BIOS Utilities & Flash Programs
Topic: What exactly does "clear bios" do?
Replies: 15
Views: 8602

Rainbow, that seems a heck of a lot simpler - and no need to wonder what the screen may be showing! I assume that the clicking I hear is the bios trying to read the floppy, and that it has its own loader. That being the case I will try this when next to the machine (in a day or two) and let you know...
by paulus
Sun Jul 27, 2003 10:08 pm

Thanks, guys - homing in on this now. After close inspection I believe the board to be a TX ProII board and the version number is 3.2. According to PCChips this could be an M571 - if confirmed I can download the bios and loader and restore the bios. Only problem . . . the machine is not booting, and...
by paulus
Fri Jul 25, 2003 3:40 pm

Thanks guys, however I still need to find some mobo id. The book title is just "Pentium MMX", and its contents just include a list of features/capabilities, diagrams and instructions (including bios) - no manufacturer or type number. I am away from the machine just now, but will try to find some mar...
by paulus
Thu Jul 24, 2003 9:06 pm

The machine is circa 1998 and uses AMI bios. It doesn't beep but clicks quietly (sounds like the floppy). I am attempting to get my hands on an old video card (not many round any more) - hopefully (if I can get it) then I MAY be able to get something on the screen to tell me what it is looking for. ...
by paulus
Wed Jul 23, 2003 11:55 pm

Nicks, thanks for the help - done that, but still no boot and (more of a problem) no video. Tried to "blindly" get into setup, then F7 (best performance settings), F10 (exit and save), "y" and "enter. But still no luck! Any ideas on getting my video back so that I can at least see where it's getting...
by paulus
Tue Jul 22, 2003 10:06 am

What exactly does "clear bios" do?

I inadvertently set the clear bios jumper on an old Cyrix 233 based PC, which had been working well. Bottom line is that system no longer boots and nothing gets to the video (which used to use system RAM) - so no idea what it is trying to say to me! Have I cleared the bios PROGRAM (needing a reflash...