Search found 7 matches

by pipomolo42
Fri Aug 17, 2007 11:41 am
Forum: In-depth High-tech BIOS section
Topic: EFI BIOS Reverse Engeneering
Replies: 12
Views: 20961

Hello, You can find full details about the firmware image in the "UEFI Platform Initialization Specification 1.0" available at uefi.org Please note that some of the EFI images provided by intel do not correctly follow the specs: they add no padding between files (which are then no longer aligned on ...
by pipomolo42
Fri Aug 03, 2007 11:09 pm
Topic: Expansion ROM hacking on PCI Express ?
Replies: 8
Views: 8095

Actually, I was not concerned about the format of the vga roms, but rather if and when they get executed by the bios (as it seems to me that only the "first" vga bios gets executed, and at an earlier stage than, say, an etherboot image)
by pipomolo42
Thu Aug 02, 2007 7:37 pm

Actually, I'm now thinking that the vga bios is not a "normal" pci expansion rom, as the double at address 0x30 of the pci config space of my graphic cards are all set to 0x00000000 ... but I think I still need to read more bios specs, to understand what I can or cannot do with it. The ESB2 controll...
by pipomolo42
Tue Jul 31, 2007 7:24 pm

Hello, I've read about the ata secutity extension already, but this is code unrelated to the pci device it resides on ... What I need to do is loading the extension rom for one device from another device. And I don't understand yet how else one extenstion rom could be related to one specific device,...
by pipomolo42
Tue Jul 31, 2007 11:22 am

Err, actually, what I wanted to try was to put the expansion rom of one of my pci devices in the physical rom of another device ... but I guess that this will just not work, unless the expansion rom also heavily patches the bios. Can someone confim ?
by pipomolo42
Mon Jul 30, 2007 5:02 pm

Expansion ROM hacking on PCI Express ?

Hi, I have a machine which only has PCI-E slots and on which I would need to do a bit of Expansion ROM hacking. I have one graphic card (Nvidia 7300GS) available, on which I could try it, but I'm a bit affraid that it could fry it (maybe by not setting the card's GPU and RAM clocks as it should norm...