62-314E-022699-00101111-071595-440LX

How-to identify your motherboard ?
whistle
New visitors - please read the rules.

:!:

This is a generic PC I've been using for a couple of years. All I've been able to find out so far is that TriGen in Korea had something to do with the motherboard but nothing else. The normal tools don't seem to recognise 2699 as a valid manufacturer.

As the bios is reported by SiSoft Sandra as being from 1995 I thought I might try and flash it to a more upto date one, if possible.

Anybody have any idea's where I can find one???

Incidentally, I am running a Celeron 466 mhz processor. Is there any chance of upgrading to anything faster?
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

TriGem FLORIDA_C or FLORIDA TG/TGA. Check board top surface for one of these markings. Your bios is dated feb 26th 1999 (022699), TriGem puts a date code where the manufacturer ID should be. They are used in several eMachines models. What do you want from the bios update?

Fastest supported processor depends on which Florida variant you've got.
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

System error, strike any user to continue...
whistle

I was trying to find out if I could enable the AGP setting which apparently is not being used by the onboard graphics card at the moment. I've enabled it in the bios but apparently it isn't being utilised. I can't see any other options to do this.

Is a later bios likely to facilitate this?? :?:
whistle

Incidentally, in addition to the bios id string I gave earlier, I also see that, on start up, the following is added to the string... FLORIDA-STD-H, If that is relevant.... :idea:
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

That helps a little but what we really want is the marking from the top surface of the board if you please. Information on TriGem boards is not easy to come by and this is a new variant of the Florida, at least, this is not a known bios revision.
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

whistle

The board is marked as FLORIDA C. I found and successfully flashed the bios to a later version without problem but I still can't get the board to enable the AGP. I have checked all the bios settings and the mb jumpers which seem ok.

I have also tried adjusting things through the Powerstrip utility but it wont let me adjust anything to do with the AGP function.

It's not a big deal as this PC is not used for cutting edge stuff but it would be good to optimise things, if possible..

Whistle :?
whistle

I am still unable to get the onboard graphics (ATI Rage, 4mb) to work in AGP. I have checked the relevant jumpers on the board and re-checked th BIOS isn't set to PCI but can't seem to make any progress.

Maybe it wouldn't make any difference but it would be nice to find out one way or the other..

Derek :?:
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

http://server855.gisol.com/~smac/mother ... oridac.htm

max CPU speed is 533, max ram is 512MB (2 x 256MB sticks).

PCI/AGP setting is hidden in the PCI/PnP section

Use http://babel.altavista.com set for Korean to English and check here:
http://www.elhvb.com/mboards/TriGem/pro ... C_base.htm
in the CMOS SETUP section
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

whistle

Thanks for the help. I've found out plenty about this board now..

I don't know if the AGP function is working properly or not. I guess it must be because setting PCI in the BIOS or by jumper stops the PC from booting up. However, the utilities I used to check seem to suggest that AGP is not enabled...

Oh well...

Derek :?
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

What operating system are you running?
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

whistle

I'm using Win98 SE.

Would a PCI card of something like 32mb make any noticeable difference to what an onboard AGP of 4mb does (assuming it works correctly, that is..), or the limiations of the motherboard be exposed by adding a card like this?

I am on another PC at the moment, so I hope this gets to the forum...
:?:

Derek
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

I think the processing power limit of the CPU would be the next bottleneck. 32MB PCI cards aren't exactly cheap. Maybe you should throw in some extra RAM and save the rest for your next system...
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything