USB not working...

BIOS Questions that don't belong in the other forums. Read them!
latrevino
New visitors - please read the rules.

Hello folks... need help as I have run out of ideas! I have a Shuttle HOT-591P motherboard that has been running well under the Windows 98 platform. I have upgraded to windows 2000 successfuly except that now my USB ports are unrecognisable by the computer. I have checked the device manager and the USB is there but unrecognised. Windows 2000 has dual boot-up capability, i.e. Win2K & Win98. If I boot-up Win98 the USB's work fine but if I boot-up Win2K... no USB's. Thanks to all for any feedback!

latrevino
trysting
BIOS Newbie

Have you got the latest VIA 4in1 drivers installed? Might be an option to consider. Here is the link for the 4in1's. http://www.viaarena.com/?PageID=2
soupy
Absentee administrator

Is USB enabled in your CMOS setup and set to use an IRQ?
Flash your BIOS at your own risk.
latrevino
New visitors - please read the rules.

I have loaded the VIA 4in1 drivers without any change... no USB's
NickS
BIOS Bodhisattva

Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 233163
SUMMARY
Specific Via Universal Serial Bus (USB) controller chip sets are not supported in Windows 2000. The following model numbers are affected:
VT83C572
VT82C586
MORE INFORMATION
These chip sets are unsupported because of problems in the input/output (I/O) port aliasing that can only be resolved in the chips themselves.

For additional information, or to inquire about the availability of a software update that corrects this issue, please contact Via.

NOTE: Using an unsupported workaround for this issue could possibly cause system instability or data loss.
Last Reviewed: 10/10/2002
Doesn't look good. HOT-591 uses VT82C586B.
NickS
BIOS Bodhisattva

...but have you tried the USB filter/driver patch ? From http://forums.viaarena.com/messageview. ... word1=mvp3
Filter driver 108 for MVP3/4 chipsets
I downloaded and installed this USB driver successfully 8 months ago on a W2K Pro machine. It got my USB ports working. I now have to install it on another identical W2K PC, but I'm not having success. I didn't document how I did it before. Does anyone have instructions for installing this 108 filter driver?
The 1.10 USB filter/driver is here but only mentions the VT83C572. I have the 1.08 driver and will post it at the link in my sig. Don't ask me how to use it !
Tested patched BIOSes. Untested patched BIOSes.
Emails *will* be ignored unless the subject line starts "Wim's BIOS forum"