Big problems with Mobo / Can't boot

Request help finding jumper settings or a motherboard manual.
gb
BIOS Newbie

I can't get my mobo running, it was a board, that someone has given to me. And I wanna make a linux server out of this board and other stuff.

I put the board out of the one computer and put it into the other.
The problem is, that I can't boot this computer.
I have connected the mobo with the power cables, had some problems with the front panel connectors:
http://www.wimsbios.com/phpBB2/viewtopi ... highlight=

Thx to rainbow for the manual....

But I can't boot the computer.....

Maybe there are some things, that I dunno.

For example:
Can I boot without a processor (I tried this on another mobo: It think NO)
Can I boot without ram (....???....)
Can I boot without hdd /floppy /cdrom (yes)

Is there a difference, how to put the processor into the socket?
It tried it on the other mobo (and it doesn't work, so the processor has his exact position)

Is it improtant, that the front panel cables (hdd led, power led...) are connected to the mobo? (or this it boot without them)

MY PROBLEM: I WANNA BOOT FROM THIS MOBO

and I dunno, what I did wrong........

HELP NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEDED!!!!! :cry: :cry: :cry:
soupy
Absentee administrator

Can I boot without a processor (I tried this on another mobo: It think NO)
No.

Can I boot without ram (....???....)
No.

Is there a difference, how to put the processor into the socket?
There is a pin 1, yes.

Is it improtant, that the front panel cables (hdd led, power led...) are connected to the mobo? (or this it boot without them)
If it's an ATX board, connecting the power swtich helps.
Flash your BIOS at your own risk.
gb
BIOS Newbie

I don't know, what I did wrong.
I have finally tried it with Ram the power cables and the processor...
But it doesn't work.

The mobo isn't dead, because I had it in another computer and it worked, booted and was o.k.

Is there maybe a hardware site about mobos on the net, where I can get more help, or is there someone, who knows this board?

And there is something, that's very strange in the mobo manual:
http://www.groove-trax.de/jumper/m/S-T/32988.htm
http://www.differentpla.net/~roger/hardware/pci48af/

There is this information:
The front panel connectors go onto header J23, as follows: Pins 1-4 Speaker
Pins 7+17 Turbo SW
Pins 8+18 Turbo LED
Pins 9+19 Reset SW
Pins 10+20 Hard Disk LED
Pins 11-13 Power LED
Pins 14-15 Keyboard Lock

On my mobo there is a jumper on the pins 7+17, why?
I guess, that I don't have a Keyboard Lock cable....
And the Turbo SW cable is not 2 pins long, it's 3 pins long......

It would be a great help, if someone could help me, or give just an advice, a link to a hardware site about mobos, or something like this.
Or just an advice how to go on.....

thx
KachiWachi
The New Guy

Jumper on 7-17 locks the board in Turbo mode, instead of using a switch to turn it on and off...your choice if you want or need that feature.

Turbo switch cable with 3 pins can either be access to the Turbo LED, or to reverse the action of the switch ("in" is on or "out" is on, again your choice). Follow the wires and see what you actually have there.

Since you have the manual, go thru and make sure everything is wired, installed, and jumpered correctly. If you have any I/O cards installed, remove all of them except for the video card (so you can see the monitor) and any drives you have installed. See if the board POSTS...if so, then add one thing back at a time and see what is killing you.

If you add the floppy first, then you could see if it will boot using a boot floppy to DOS, verifying at least basic functionality.

Good Luck!!
gb
BIOS Newbie

thx KachiWachi

I tried it.....

All the things on the board are jumped correctly, because I took it out of another computer, which I had tested before... and it worked

I have now connected the front panel cables....

turboLed, ResetSW, HDDLED and PowerLED work correctly

I haven't connected the Speaker cable, because the bios doesn't boot (no PIEP) and so I can't test it....

The TurboSW is jumped on PIN 7+17 (and works...)

I don't hae a keyboard lock cable, so it doesn't matter....

So var......

The things are o.k.

It think, that the mistake is the processor, I have tried to put it in different positions into the socket (4 times) and it doesn't work.....

I guess, that I have installed the RAM correctly and I have tested it on SIM 1 and SIM 4, but I dunno, maybe here is a mistake too.

But there is still a mistake, which I can't find.....

And it's horrible for me to get this board working/booting......

I have tried it with a graphics card in the pci slot....
(With 3 different cards....)

The card should work on every of this 4 pci slots...... if the board would boot

:evil: SO THERE IS STILL A MISTAKE :evil:

:arrow: processor or ram, or something else?

AND I DUNNO, because the front panel connection cables are o.k. now, and it works..........

It tried it around 20 times... with processor, ram, hdd 1GB
with processor, ram and no hdd

AND STILL NO SUCCESS

HEY GUYS: IT SHOULD BE EASY TO INSTALL THIS BOARD, BUT I GO CRAZY NOW......:?:

:cry: :cry: :cry: HELP :cry: :cry: :cry:
KachiWachi
The New Guy

Processor only fits one way...if you managed to install it somehow into the other positions (bent pin?) it is most likely toast. 486 CPU should be centered in the socket, not shifted, since the extra outer row is for an Overdrive CPU, which should cover all the sockets. Pin 1 is that extra dot in the center of the CPU socket shown in your drawing. CPU should have same pin underneath.

No CPU, no beep...

Memory should be in pairs...SIMM BANK 0/1 or 2/3...don't skip sockets (See memory table), unless board can boot with only one stick (it appears it can).
gb
BIOS Newbie

I have tried with different processor positions, with different RAM sticks and with different RAM stick position.

I dunno, what I have to do now.

BUT I WANNA GET THIS BOARD RUNNING.

I have done some pics of the board, the processor and the ram sticks, which you can find here:

http://internetag.host.sk/gb/mobo.php

KachiWachi's advices were very good, but I dunno, what I did wrong so...

It would be a great help, if someone could help me......
Rainbow
The UniFlasher

If you inserted the CPU the wrong way, it's possbile that the board and/or CPU is damaged.
Patched and tested BIOSes are at http://wims.rainbow-software.org
UniFlash - Flash anything anywhere
gb
BIOS Newbie

The CPU and the mobo should be ok, because I have tested the CPU on another mobo and it worked and the mobo is ok too, because if I have a hdd drive connected the HDD led blinks.......

Can maybe someone take the CPU pic and the mobo pic from:
http://internetag.host.sk/gb/mobo.php

and make a new pic (-> I mean: put the processor pic on the mobo pic, that I can see, how to put the processor into the socket)

thx
KachiWachi
The New Guy

CPU pin 1 is by the large flat corner, next to "25544"...has also black square which designates pin 1.

CPU Socket pin 1 is where the hinged end of the handle is...upper left as shown in your picture.

Interestingly, the "groove-trax" picture shows CPU pin 1 elsewhere...

But it seems you have verified your components in another working machine...so either your power supply is bad (did you check that too...cables connected properly...black wires together in the center), or something else on the motherboard isn't right anymore. I'd set it back up in it's original case and configuration, and make sure it still works there...
NickS
BIOS Bodhisattva

I would try it on top of a telephone directory - eliminates any possibility of shorting against the metalwork of the case.
the mobo is ok too, because if I have a hdd drive connected the HDD led blinks.......
I think that's a big assumption. If it flashes on and off as you switch power on, it tells you that the power-on reset and part of the driver circuitry are working. If it blinks regularly at 1 second intervals I would say it's likely it blinks because the PSU is tripping due to overcurrent. What happens to the lights on the keyboard ?

Please confirm:
1. this CPU was working in this motherboard with this memory until you moved it into a different case
2. since you last tried the CPU in this mobo you have tried it another mobo and it works fine.[/quote]
gb
BIOS Newbie

@NickS:

1: yes
2: yes
NickS
BIOS Bodhisattva

NickS wrote:If it flashes on and off as you switch power on, it tells you that the power-on reset and part of the driver circuitry are working. If it blinks regularly at 1 second intervals I would say it's likely it blinks because the PSU is tripping due to overcurrent. What happens to the lights on the keyboard ?
gb
BIOS Newbie

They're normal (they blink one time and the num lock light is on)...
NickS
BIOS Bodhisattva

gb wrote:They're normal (they blink one time and the num lock light is on)...
ok...does the num lock light change if you press the num lock key ?
Does the num lock light come on if you have no CPU
Does the num lock light come on if you have CPU but no RAM ?